U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:11 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,272,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I know you guys in the south are trying...
Trying to do what, make sure facts and correct numbers are used and to quiet unintelligent posts like CT "Mountaineer" made? I'd say we're doing more than trying. All joking aside, I've never understood people trying to tear down another WV town or university and exaggerate things in an attempt to make their own town or university sound better. To give facts, experiences and opinions is one thing, but to post crap like that(what CTM posted) is ridiculous to say the least. Be proud of your area, show off its assets and defend it but remember that we're all part of the same state and we all benefit from the growth of the state as long as no misguided political workings get in the way (i.e. the new Fairmont exit or pulling funding from one area/entity to pay for pet projects). This state needs to encourage growth and friendly competition rather than making people feel like they have to fight like dogs for the scraps left at the table. The people who brag like it would be a good thing for WV to have one large thriving city, university or anything need to get a life and realize what they are asking for. I want to see this state and all of it's cities grow and prosper and we can't get there with that kind of attitude.

Last edited by tbailey1138; 10-28-2008 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 09:11 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,569,624 times
Quote:
The Universities are WVU, Carnegie/Mellon and the new Campus of Penn State...FSU should be included too...

and yes, that was a typ-O...54,000 entire mean population...student pop is correct, thanks...I know you guys in the south are trying...
so does that make Huntington's entire population 65,000?

Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 PM

939 posts, read 1,767,514 times
Lol....the Huntington people are making this a Huntington v. Morgantown battle royale. Only one can exit...

Old 10-28-2008, 11:36 PM

11,962 posts, read 7,025,800 times
These things happen during foolball <ahem> football season...

... walks off with spackle knife

Old 10-29-2008, 02:06 AM

1,942 posts, read 3,569,624 times
foosball is the devil

-Kathy Bates

Old 10-29-2008, 02:38 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,268,715 times
I'm glad we are all in agreement...about WHAT...that may be the question...Bailey...I'm voting for you to be a City-Data co-moderator with Atlanta...

Those 'PET projects...their first reason is to line pockets and help cronies...be honest, Fairmont is a loser and has been for decades...
Local cronies kept out Henry Ford when he wanted to build an auto plant there...kept a lid on all expansion until WW-2...then fell flat and is staying there...It's a mentality.

We do not need the crime, dope, prostitution and community degradation that the gambling will bring to our general area...
Keep it in Wheeling and the Greenbrier...the criminal elements and low lifes will sap a welfare resource that is limited to 'bare bones services now...the homeless and abused are given aid and its taxing those charities to the limits...
The gambling will add a greater load to these entities and we do not hear that any money will be coming to help...at least the tobacco industry paid in advance for the killing of their victims...

We are talking about a 'Social Cancer and when the issue is 'About the Money...everything else falls to the wayside..
Our government was changed before Obama...

Of the Idiots, by the Idiots and for the Idiots...

Of the Money, by the Money and for the Money....

Old 10-29-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Lol....the Huntington people are making this a Huntington v. Morgantown battle royale. Only one can exit...
Not at all. Who opened this thread back up in the first place? It wasn't the Huntington people. We are responding to inflammatory comments made by CTM that were obviously directed at Huntington and Marshall. And then we responded to subsequent statements by you and DK in order to have a conversation rather than allow a one sided representation. How is that "making this a Huntington v. Morgantown battle royale" when we didn't start it but only respnded to what was written? You're telling me you'd let someone come on here and put down Morgantown and WVU and not respond at all? You've proven that's not true in the past. Most of us on here are passionate about where we live, sometimes to a fault. I don't think any of us would let someone come on here and make comments like that without doing a point counter-point. I'd be disappointed if we did.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Bailey...I'm voting for you to be a City-Data co-moderator with Atlanta...
Thanks for the support and kind words DK.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:35 PM

11,962 posts, read 7,025,800 times
Quote:
Those 'PET projects...their first reason is to line pockets and help cronies...be honest, Fairmont is a loser and has been for decades...
Local cronies kept out Henry Ford when he wanted to build an auto plant there...kept a lid on all expansion until WW-2...then fell flat and is staying there...It's a mentality.

We do not need the crime, dope, prostitution and community degradation that the gambling will bring to our general area...
Keep it in Wheeling and the Greenbrier...the criminal elements and low lifes will sap a welfare resource that is limited to 'bare bones services now...the homeless and abused are given aid and its taxing those charities to the limits...
The gambling will add a greater load to these entities and we do not hear that any money will be coming to help...at least the tobacco industry paid in advance for the killing of their victims...

We are talking about a 'Social Cancer and when the issue is 'About the Money...everything else falls to the wayside..
Our government was changed before Obama...

Of the Idiots, by the Idiots and for the Idiots...

Of the Money, by the Money and for the Money....
It might help you to realize the limits of money. No amount of money can substitute for apathy or a lack of values in people. That lack is represented in a percent of the population everywhere on the planet & WV is no exception. Money isn't inherently evil, but what we do with it as a tool represents what we're about. Realize the limits of people- no amount of caring or values can force the world to be what we wish it to be. We have limits of our own lives, our own yards, how we rear our children, what we volunteer for, and what we spend our dollars & time on. Pull together like a family and live out the example on our own dime is how communities are made. Imposing it on others is how communities are destroyed.

Social cancers being in the mind, there's no way to change anyones mind other than to BE the living proof of what's possible. Lead by example. Can an honest buck be earned in this environment? Can you achieve wealth and still hold onto your values? Did you see corruption and leave it hide under a rock? You gave it permission to exist through tacit agreement? The burden of proof is upon us DK. Let's not deny our work. We're the adults.

Whatever ills of society exist, prohibition did little to nothing to prevent alcohol abuse. Some can even say it was exacerbated. Banning gambling does nothing to prevent it, and other states have given permission with the caveat of fees to pay for those in need of treatment for gambling addictions similar to tobacco industry. WV has that option if she so chooses. This is my home and I take my vote very seriously. If fairmont wants this for itself I won't be living in fairmont is all I can say.

I dislike drug/alcohol abusers, find it rather pathetic than any human being would deliberately cripple themselves by dulling their senses, but what are we the sober to do about it? Teatotaling, sermonizing, legislating it out of existence- none of it works. Make people aware of consequence and let them accept responsibility for themselves is the american way. I think it's a wise approach. If you've got a better plan, please do share it.

I fail to see what Obama has to do with 200yrs of WV history or how you leap to the conclusion he means to make a meal out of you. I just don't see what you're talking about. Yes I heard the McCain ads on radio. It's unadulterated BS. Republicans have no original ideas of how to provide a healthy economic system for rural communities yet still preserve what makes them precious. The only known ways are citified ways or self sufficient attitudes. Only ones out of touch with reality are in the mirror they refuse to look at.

Tbail & WVpharm- Men folk in foosball season are peculiar to me. Looks like rutting. I'd wear my WVU vs Marshall t-shirt if it weren't so chilly. Best I stay out of it and go read aliceT's posts.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:59 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,268,715 times
The Morgantown electorate is revolting...city...county and State offices...had enough of the professional approach...many educated and qualified people are running against the same old..same old...

just like you said HB...The others...the smaller counties will follow...may take some time...

HB...I gave the corruption a tacit existence because part of my mothers family were heavily involved and certain parties would kill others if the need arose...now they are dead...and it can possibly be told how they stole the money and the property...that might be a deterrant for those in power to resist the urge...it has always been about the money...it buys anything...and is worthless...in the end it means nothing...every crimminal comes into focus with his guilt on the day before he meets God...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown