Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 9,205 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Does anyone know of a way to get from WVU campus in Morgantown to the Virginia Tech campus or at least to the Roanoke area of Virginia.

I am looking for a bus or train, or anything that connects the two that is not too terribly expensive.

I know they are only about 4 hours apart but there is no close bus that I can find or train station....am I just not looking hard enough?

If anyone could help that would be AMAZING! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 02:15 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Rent a car....cheap and simple. I believe this is the most impossible request i've seen in 3 years. The possibilities are remote.

Make a sign...'Coed needs ride...will do anything!' Hitch to Harrisonburg then down 81 to Roanoke...

Alternative: Campus blog? Sorority? Honey, you really can't get there from here, when these two states separated, Virginia did not build any new roads to connect them.

Last edited by David Kennedy; 05-13-2009 at 02:23 AM..

Old 05-13-2009, 03:16 AM

413 posts, read 938,017 times
You also don't say when you need to go. I drive to Roanoke every week or so. If you could hitch a ride here, you might be able to tag along. VA Tech is about 45 minutes out of Roanoke, though.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:30 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
Lets see... if you could somehow get a ride north to Connellsville, PA, you could catch the Capitol Limited (Amtrak) there, take that to Union Station in Washington, DC.

You could then take the Cardinal out of Washington, which would get you to Clifton Forge, VA. Which would still leave you an hour and a half north of Blacksburg.

DK's right... rent a car.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:45 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
Funny you should mention Amtrac, Snorpus...I was just getting a ticket from Cumberland to Harpers Ferry...$17.00 one way...and a great ride too.
Takes a person right into the park...well almost..3 blocks away.

You might call Hart Field and see what a local pilot would fly you down for...I would expect about $350.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,205 times
Thank you all for your help. I figured it was pretty hopeless.

I would be trying to make the trip about once a month. I am going to be an MS student in the Wildlife and Fisheries program at WVU and my boyfriend is a DR in vet medicine at VT. We were introduced to one another in Africa when we were both there on research and have been in a long distance relationship for about 2 years - as I lived in MA. When I had the chance to work on a great MS project about 4 hours away from him in Morgantown I jumped at the chance. NOT realizing that unless I had a car it would be pretty impossible to get to him anyways. =(

but I did look into renting a car for the weekend and it is about 75 dollars. Not terrible! + gas Taking the bus from Wheeling all the way to Roanoke is $130 and it takes about 16-20hrs to get there. So, thank you for the rent a car suggestion! I really appreciate it.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
Public Transportation is not WV's strong suit. That's why most everybody keeps 2 or 3 "spares" in the back yard, in case they have to be pressed into service.

All it needs is a new starter motor... well, that and a fuel pump... grind the valves... fix that little ole leak in the radiator... yup, it's almost like new...

Old 05-13-2009, 09:27 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
I think the only direct public transportation would be to take the bus from Morgantown to Pittsburgh, then Greyhound to Blacksburg which would probably mean at least two or three bus changes/layovers. You're looking at an all day trek for sure. Blacksburg is really isolated from anywhere else, and while our public transportation situation is not the best, theirs is even worse. The place is barely a town... you have the VT campus and a few buildings besides that as I remember. But, I'd be surprised if they don't have some kind of bus service to and from Roanoke.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:38 PM

13 posts, read 37,472 times
hitch hike

Old 07-29-2013, 05:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,997 times
Is it a bad ride from Blacksburg to Morgantown? Mountains, curves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown