U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-06-2009, 07:50 PM

53 posts, read 55,426 times
Talking Moving to Morgantown, WV

I just got a good paying job in McHenry, about 45 miles to the east of Morgantown. I thought about living there, but its really small and there are no apartments to speak of. I hear that Morgantown is pretty hip for the 20ish crowd, and I'm 28 and single myself. I'm a transplant to WV so I don't want to be out in the boonies? Any suggestions on neighborhoods to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 09:34 PM

6,471 posts, read 4,740,584 times
What are you looking for, an apartment, condo, or house? There is a fellow
who posts here by the name of Kennedy who is really up on the housing
situation, but you might want to check out Cheat Lake. Its a small residential
area just outside of Morgantown that is really nice. It's close enough to town
to take in all the activities but far enough out so that you aren't in the midst
of all the students. Also, it's on the Maryland side of Morgantown so you'd
miss the traffic going to work every day.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:15 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,437,870 times
Find a place near Cumberland and come to Morgantown on the weekends...that's what all the Frostburg college kids do in that area...

Come to Mo'town, find a girl to stay with...binge drink all day long and if the football team is playing...they will set fire to a dumpster or two.

We thought our own kids were doing the dumpster burnings..arrest records show its the out of towners!

Good luck...It's a jungle down here...start at Archies in Sabraton...or the brew pub on University Ave. and hide your car keys until you sober up...
Lots of cameras around to take your pic. remember that!

Old 06-07-2009, 02:36 PM

39 posts, read 63,982 times
Default Depends

Where do you live now- WV or MD or somewhere else? As for hipness- Morgantown is hip for the 18-21 crowd and nice for families but I don't think of it as hip for the 20 to early 30's people. I think living in Cumberland and being 2 1/2 hours from Baltimore and Washington, DC would be more fun (Morgantown is 3 3/4 from both). I asked if you were from that area because you need to take into account the winter weather when deciding how far to live from your workplace.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:54 PM

939 posts, read 1,805,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachick View Post
Where do you live now- WV or MD or somewhere else? As for hipness- Morgantown is hip for the 18-21 crowd and nice for families but I don't think of it as hip for the 20 to early 30's people.
My friends and I have come to the conclusion that the Morgantown nightlife stops being amusing at about age 26.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:19 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,288,497 times
That's when you start driving up to the 'Burg, and make the scene on the South Side or the Strip District.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:46 PM

6,471 posts, read 4,740,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
That's when you start driving up to the 'Burg, and make the scene on the South Side or the Strip District.

That's going to start getting closer this year too with the work on the
Mon-Fayette Expressway. But the older person nightlife that is hip in Morgantown has little to do with the bar scene. It has to do with the events sponsored by the College of Creative Arts and the Athletic Dept.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:04 PM

53 posts, read 55,426 times
hmmm...doesn't sound too encouraging. I am looking to rent for sure, probably max out around $1,000.00 a month. What about Cheat Lake? Is there any nice apartments there and shopping? There really isn't much of anything from 68 down to McHenry.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:44 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,437,870 times
Take AliceT's advice and live near your job...find a cheap apartment and go blow the money in a different direction each weekend...New York City...DC...Baltimore, Pittsburgh, WVU Football games...fish in the mountains...Ski at Wisp and Snowshoe...use the time while everything is at peak function!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown