Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:11 AM

113 posts, read 145,044 times

Advertisements

Okay, I had another post about moving to Morgantown, but hear that if your not in the 18-21 crowd that may not be the best community to pick (although Cheat Lake looks nice). If your single and in your late 20's early 30's, where would you live? I don't mind bars and college age kids, but don't want to live in a dumpy apartment or neighborhood thats seen about 4,000 parties and is falling apart. However, I also don't want to live out in the boonies, like McHenry (where I work). Don't get me wrong, McHenry looks like a nice resort town, but it's expensive (I make about 38,000 a year) and there doesn't seem to be much shopping, nightlife or young people to speak off. I've also been thinking about Frostberg or Cumberland too but know very little beyond what i've seen from I-68. Where would you live? Thoughts?

Last edited by laloesch; 06-08-2009 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: corrections
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
I would live as close to work as possible. Traveling for the rest once or twice a week would be better than daily with traffic & gas.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
And it's probably cheaper to live in McHenry than Motown or Cumberland. I think Frostburg is cute, but its a college town too, just on a smaller scale.

And I wouldn't write off Morgantown yet, either, although the commute to McHenry could be a chore in the winter. There's plenty of areas of Morgantown that are typical post-college (late 20s/early 30s) in nature.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:33 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
If your job is in McHenry then I would make it a point to live somewhere close by. Have you considered Oakland, Maryland? It always seems to be a nice community although its also along Deep Creek Lake so there might be a large tourist crowd on weekends. That can't be a bad thing though.

Morgantown is a great community but the winter driving conditions on I-68 from Coopers Rock (outside Morgantown) to western Maryland is horrendous with large amounts of snow and fog. In defense of the road crews up there, they usually work very hard but many times it just comes down so fast that it's hard to keep up.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Not sure if anyone's told you, but Garrett County gets SNOW on a scale approaching, say, Buffalo or Syracuse, N.Y. Its elevation captures the last gasp of lake effect from the Great Lakes. One of my colleagues tells often of being stuck at a truckstop in Keysers Ridge for several days. Lot less stress to live not too far away daily then hit someplace else for nightlife, like what the other folks say.

I would imagine that someplace like Friendsville or Grantsville would be a lot cheaper if you want to save up a little before finding a pad at the slopes or on the lake. (But if you do get one of those pads, it's a much better pickup line in Morgantown or Pittsburgh... )

Frostburg is relatively cheap, in town Cumberland is VERY cheap but there's not much of a vibe. Don't move to Cumberland for shopping, Wal-Mart and Tractor Supply is about it. Target was going to come in but they gave up.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Default Cheat Lake would be my Choice Considering Where You're Working

All of those are nice towns, including Kingwood, which you
didn't mention, but they have different characteristics.
Personally, I wouldn't choose Cumberland because if is a mostly
industrial or post industrial town and has some of the problems
associated with that. Oakland is a very nice, lovely area with
Deep Creek nearby, but not much goes on there either.

I'm 66 years old, and have a four wheel drive Jeep, so I'm not so
concerned about the driving conditions which can be difficult
from the mountain over Cheat Lake to western Maryland in the
winter due to the elevation there, so you'll have to make that
call yourself. Personally, if you can find a place in your budget
in the Cheat Lake area that would be a good move. It's close
enough to great activities and good shopping and yet not
in a congested area.

My second choice would be Oakland. I just think it is lovely
there. My third would be McHenry, and fourth Frostburg.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:20 AM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Cumberland is the cheapest place to live by far, followed by mo-town/frostyberg, then McHenry is off the charts.

Mo-town would seem like a good choice, but it is a fair distance from McHenry for sure.

If it were me, and it would be tough on your salary- I would look for something outside of McHenry to be closer to work. That winter drive from either East or West of Keysers Ridge can be a royal PITA.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:57 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,289 times
What price are you willing to pay in rent?

Old 06-08-2009, 11:11 AM

246 posts, read 880,450 times
I liked Cumberland a lot but Maryland is one commie state! I would not even consider Maryland.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:10 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookamus View Post
I liked Cumberland a lot but Maryland is one commie state! I would not even consider Maryland.
There's always Ridgeley. I-68 makes a kink in downtown Cumberland (the 40 mph zone) to keep it from crossing back into WV. The passenger eastbound can clearly see the WV welcome sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown