U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,127 times
Exclamation Any WVU Alumni post here??

I just wanted to rememcess(sP?) about WVU. I knew it was going to be a great schhol but little did I know that so far it was the best 5 (yes 5) years of my life!

1.What were your fave things to do there? Me-Go out of course, go to Gabriels (my friends and I made a living buying from there and sellling on ebay),Coopers rocks, the waterfall, football season, general school spirit

2.. Fave bars? Me- Number1- Bent Willeys. But I had a brief love afair with them all. All the names changed now though except Bent. I liked Chasers soph year. Brass alley loved fesh yr., Elements loved on the late nights and attended shooters briefly when younger on wednesday nights religiously! Went on frequent bar crawls

3. Football? Pre-game? Me-Yes! Went to everyone. Quit my job to attend the V-tech game lol. I also got so into it by what I was wearing. I'll post a pic of me in a coonskin hat and WVU shirt lol. Always tailgated with young and old. Used to go to the PIT. Did rolls down the grass hill from the prt. Got kicked out of the games 3x games exactly for fighting with opposing team lol, woops. Did the keychain thing. And met Big Cat lol

4.Restaurants? Fave was West Texas Roadhouse, 2nd was Los Marchias,3rd Oliverios.

5 Where did you live, Sunnyside lol? I lived off stewart 2x on Lorentz and First, Mileground(last yr) and got stuck in the honors dorm freshamn year lol. Oh and a midget apt (literally made for a little person) by the hockey and DG house. Spent a lot of time on Willey and Sunnyside (Beverly) and Grant

6. What was your major and or fave or hated classes: Me- My major was Fashion Merchandising and my fave class was my design class. Most hated Econ. The intro one lol

7. Have you ever talked to "The homeless guy on high st" or bought a hot dog from the illusive hot dog man!! Always gave homie money and we danced at bents occasionly. Loved the hot dog man!

8. Were you greek? me-No but was friends with quite a few

9. Ever get stuck on the PRT? Yes , it was hot and scary

anything you wish to share if you want to: If anyone is trying to figure out what school to go to pick WVU. I loved it. You'll like it even if you don't go out a lot. Best time of my life. Country roads take me home<3

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/1464450113079094986aHQstk][/URL]

Me up front in gold tee:[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/1486335208079094986Evnrop][/URL]

Halloween at the district hallways, me on the right of the guy:[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/1500575712079094986LPGopP][/URL]

My best friends and a awesome pic:[URL=http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2262519790079094986rZgtCx][/URL]

Last edited by sheepie25; 08-01-2009 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 07:02 PM

47 posts, read 14,200 times
That about sums it up. I graduated in 2006 and miss it immensely. I've only been back twice (the first Marshall game, and then last summer for a wedding). I wish they wouldn't put the best football games on Thursdays and Fridays, making it virtually impossible for a working man with family spread about to go to. Fortunately there's a huge WVU Alumni fanbase around the DC Metro area, and we even have a couple of WVU bars. There's also MASN, which is a small sports network which has allowed me to catch almost every single WVU football and basketball game for the last 2 years. Go EERS!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:17 PM

2,243 posts, read 4,413,745 times
1.What were your fave things to do there? Well I had a really tight-knit group of friends when I was at WVU. In all honesty, we spent a LOT of time taking road trips to Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C. (one of my good friends was dating a guy who was in a punk band. I also was dating a guy who was out of state). Other than that, in the Fall, there is no other experience in life like going to a Mountaineer football game!

2.. Fave bars? I don't know if I had a favorite. Usually, I would just hit up whichever one had a special. Shooters use to have $1/pitchers or $0.25/cups....something crazy like that. This was in the late-90s. I don't remember what day of the week, but I DISTINCTLY remember walking in there with $5 and getting plenty to drink with that. Yeah those days are gone.

3. Football? Pre-game? Yeah. It's funny because I actually auditioned and made it into the band (The Pride of West Virginia). However I just wasn't that dedicated and I ended up dropping out of it the first week of the semester. I had some friends that lived in Pierpoint Apartments. We used to drink there, then walk over to the PRT station to go the the game. Yep...fun times!

4.Restaurants? There used to be a good Indian restaurant in downtown. Mountain People's kitchen was good. There was (is?) a Mexican place in Sabraton that I liked. No clue what it was called though!

5. Where did you live, Sunnyside lol? I transferred to WVU and my first semester in Morgantown was in the summer. I did a sublet of an apartment on Dillie St. in Sunnyside. Initially I thought it would be great because it was so close to campus. The reality was I hated it. The street was tiny and parking was a pain. The landlord was a tool. That fall I found an apartment out in Cheat Lake...off of I-68. It was a drive...but MUCH better. The rent was $250/month, no roommate, everything was new (it was subsidized housing) I couldn't have asked for anything better.

6. What was your major and or fave or hated classes: I changed my major a million times. I finally graduated with a Regents Bachelor of Arts with a minor in business. The worst class I had was Calculus II for Engineering. Not only was it a difficult subject, but at least once a week, the professor (who was an adjunct I'm pretty sure) brought his 3 and 5 year-old to class because he couldn't find a babysitter. Of course there kids didn't just sit and play quietly. They would cry and run around the room. Yeah...insane!

My favorite class a World Music Course. Yeah, yeah...fluff subject. But the professor had me do the segment on Jamaican music; since my father was a Jamaican native and played in a reggae band for years. I was totally honored by that and she said she was going to use my resources for subsequent sections of the course!

7. Have you ever talked to "The homeless guy on high st" or bought a hot dog from the illusive hot dog man!! No never saw those guys. But there was that guy who used to stand in front of the Mountlair and shout about how the world was ending and we were all going to hell.

8. Were you greek? Not really. I mean I understood I was at college to study and get a degree. Plus I worked 2 jobs. But I wasn't anti-social...by no means.

9. Ever get stuck on the PRT? No...believe it or not. I never really got into riding the PRT on a regular basis. Like I mentioned previously, I initially lived in Sunnyside, so the PRT was of no help there. For one semester I think, I got a parking pass for the CAC; but I was also an engineering major so most of my classes were at Evansdale. By the time I changed my major, I had discovered that you could park at the Coliesium (<sp?) for free and then catch the bus to the Downtown campus. No parking pass needed & the bus was free. I did that for 2.5 years!

I don't regret going to WVU for a second. It was the best college ever and one of the few that I really could be successful at because of the helpful and unified atmosphere of the place.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:41 PM

6,284 posts, read 4,470,506 times
I'm a retried government employee (both military and civil service). Up to this point, the government has always promoted those working for it to further their educations by paying tuitions and so forth. I'm not convinced that will continue since currently the emphasis seems more on provideing free cell phones and socialized healthcare, but when I was there that was the policy. I took full advantage of it when I was able, and studied at several colleges and universities. Of the 22 or so that I attended over the years, I'm classified as alumni status by four of them... West Virginia, Ohio State, Marshall, and Defense Language Institute.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that an education at WVU is an exceptional lifetime connection. There are few places in the country that would rival it for the variety of experiences it is possible to have, the opportunities to form friendships with people from different backgrounds, the great outdoor amenities of Cheat Lake and Coopers Rock, the college town feel of Morgantown, and the dedication of professors who, although not necessarily the highest paid in the country, have bought into the unique lifestyle available at WVU and in Morgantown in general. I don't have all that many years left, but there is no doubt it was absolutely the highlight of my life. I felt that so much I relocated back to Morgantown for retirement. It is even more wonderful now than it was then.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 PM

942 posts, read 730,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Up to this point, the government has always promoted those working for it to further their educations by paying tuitions and so forth. I'm not convinced that will continue since currently the emphasis seems more on provideing free cell phones and socialized healthcare, but when I was there that was the policy.

You certainly enjoyed a lot of money on the taxpayer's backs, likely including a nice VA program. So your attitude is "*********, I got mine!". Typical republican. Tell me CT, what war did you you fight in defending our country? Oh, did you happen be between wars? Nice patriotism, and you're welcome for your pension, health benefits and VA coverage while I work my ass off.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 PM

6,284 posts, read 4,470,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cville<>centerville View Post
That about sums it up. I graduated in 2006 and miss it immensely. I've only been back twice (the first Marshall game, and then last summer for a wedding). I wish they wouldn't put the best football games on Thursdays and Fridays, making it virtually impossible for a working man with family spread about to go to. Fortunately there's a huge WVU Alumni fanbase around the DC Metro area, and we even have a couple of WVU bars. There's also MASN, which is a small sports network which has allowed me to catch almost every single WVU football and basketball game for the last 2 years. Go EERS!
You can keep abreast of what is going on at WVU in a number of ways. If you go on the school's website, they have regular articles and reporting about athletics and news releases talking about recent developments and happenings. I would also encourage any alumni who have not yet done so to join the WVU Alumni Association, which not only has publications to keep us posted but also sponsors activities all over the country wherever WVU teams participate, and advances the interests of The University wherever possible.

The Erickson Alumni Center | Alumni | West Virginia University

Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 PM

89 posts, read 50,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepie25 View Post
I just wanted to rememcess(sP?) about WVU. I knew it was going to be a great schhol but little did I know that so far it was the best 5 (yes 5) years of my life!

1.What were your fave things to do there? Me-Go out of course, go to Gabriels (my friends and I made a living buying from there and sellling on ebay),Coopers rocks, the waterfall, football season, general school spirit

2.. Fave bars? Me- Number1- Bent Willeys. But I had a brief love afair with them all. All the names changed now though except Bent. I liked Chasers soph year. Brass alley loved fesh yr., Elements loved on the late nights and attended shooters briefly when younger on wednesday nights religiously! Went on frequent bar crawls

3. Football? Pre-game? Me-Yes! Went to everyone. Quit my job to attend the V-tech game lol. I also got so into it by what I was wearing. I'll post a pic of me in a coonskin hat and WVU shirt lol. Always tailgated with young and old. Used to go to the PIT. Did rolls down the grass hill from the prt. Got kicked out of the games 3x games exactly for fighting with opposing team lol, woops. Did the keychain thing. And met Big Cat lol

4.Restaurants? Fave was West Texas Roadhouse, 2nd was Los Marchias,3rd Oliverios.

5 Where did you live, Sunnyside lol? I lived off stewart 2x on Lorentz and First, Mileground(last yr) and got stuck in the honors dorm freshamn year lol. Oh and a midget apt (literally made for a little person) by the hockey and DG house. Spent a lot of time on Willey and Sunnyside (Beverly) and Grant

6. What was your major and or fave or hated classes: Me- My major was Fashion Merchandising and my fave class was my design class. Most hated Econ. The intro one lol

7. Have you ever talked to "The homeless guy on high st" or bought a hot dog from the illusive hot dog man!! Always gave homie money and we danced at bents occasionly. Loved the hot dog man!

8. Were you greek? me-No but was friends with quite a few

9. Ever get stuck on the PRT? Yes , it was hot and scary

anything you wish to share if you want to: If anyone is trying to figure out what school to go to pick WVU. I loved it. You'll like it even if you don't go out a lot. Best time of my life. Country roads take me home<3

Me up front in gold tee:

Halloween at the district hallways, me on the right of the guy:

My best friends and a awesome pic:
1. slide down the mountain at cooper rock overlooks - this was wild - get in squatting position, and slide all the way down the mountain to the river. This was a crazy ride - in a distand second was free climbing the rocks/cliffs at coopers rock SP

2. favorite bars- I was there in the seventies - so it was the dungeon, nicks, mario's fishbowl, the college inn - there were many more.......can't remember the names.

3, WVU FB games - old mountaineer field in the mid/late 70s- always snuck in a pint in the crotch - went to the female security person - she never checked my crotch. GF brought the game-day mini bong and dope which nobody checked. The product on the field sucked, but we had a hell of a good time....

4. Restaurants = never had money for much in the way of eating out - but......Wings and Things..........

5. Lived - after the dorms, Spruce Street, and University Ave.

6. Major - psychology - loved every class

7. No knowledge

8. Sigma Chi - was a blast - met many a woman

9. PRT was broke more than it worked when I was there - used it some going to PE at the Coli.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:34 AM

6,352 posts, read 3,521,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
You certainly enjoyed a lot of money on the taxpayer's backs, likely including a nice VA program. So your attitude is "*********, I got mine!". Typical republican. Tell me CT, what war did you you fight in defending our country? Oh, did you happen be between wars? Nice patriotism, and you're welcome for your pension, health benefits and VA coverage while I work my ass off.
Can you not hijack threads on the Morgantown forum to wage a personal and political crusade? This thread is asking specific questions about WVU and alumni experience in Morgantown. If you want to answer the questions please do so.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:56 AM

942 posts, read 730,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Can you not hijack threads on the Morgantown forum to wage a personal and political crusade? This thread is asking specific questions about WVU and alumni experience in Morgantown. If you want to answer the questions please do so.
You're right, I should instead hijack every thread and claim that charleston is waging a road funding war to destroy morgantown out of pure spite and jealousy.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:16 PM

6,352 posts, read 3,521,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
You're right, I should instead hijack every thread and claim that charleston is waging a road funding war to destroy morgantown out of pure spite and jealousy.
While you are right that Charleston is neglecting Morgantown out of spite and jealousy of its growth that is not the subject at hand. If you want to discuss the corruption of Charleston and neglect of Morgantown you should make a new thread. If you are a WVU alumni feel free to answer the questions asked by the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown