Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 05:39 PM

19 posts, read 71,856 times

Advertisements

Have a job potential that may take me to Morgantown. Have never been there before, but love most of eastern WV in general. Is there a lot to do there? Plenty of outdoor activities? Low crime? Affordable housing? Is it considered a "college town"? Friendly people? Thanks for all advice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 06:28 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaaina View Post
Have a job potential that may take me to Morgantown. Have never been there before, but love most of eastern WV in general. Is there a lot to do there?
I guess that would depend on what you consider "a lot", but with the University there, you will have a wide range of choices (and Pittsburgh is only 1.5 hours away).

Quote:
Plenty of outdoor activities?
Awww, come on, this is West Virginia, you shouldn't even have to ask.

Quote:
Low crime?
Lower than the big cities, for sure. Probably the usual petty crime in the student areas. I suspect there are plenty of people around Morgantown who don't lock their doors at night.

Quote:
Affordable housing?
Especially if you're willing to drive a few miles to get away from student housing.

Quote:
Is it considered a "college town"?
Absolutely. The student population is roughly equal to the year-around population.

Quote:
Friendly people?
Be sure to wave back at everybody who waves hi when you drive by.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
I agree with everything snorpus said above. Morgantown is indeed a "college town" considering the student enrollment during the school year nearly matches the permanent resident population.

The outdoor aspect is one thing that I always loved about Morgantown. You are very close to Coopers Rock which has tons of hiking and biking trails, the Deep Creek Lake/ Wisp area of Maryland and all it offers is about 40 minutes away, close to rafting in Ohiopyle PA, and not to mention countless other state parks in West Virginia that are within a 2 hour radius. For big city adventures Pittsburgh is about 75 or so minutes away and both DC and Baltimore can be reached in about 3 hours.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:10 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
It's an awesome place to live, as attested by its many positive national rankings. There are more than 100 restaurants with many ethnic variations available. The University offers first rate educational opportunities, great cultural presentations, outstanding athletics, and helps provide for a population that is among the Nation's best educated with well over 1/2 of the residents having AT LEAST a bachelors degree.

You'd have to live in Colorado to approach the kinds of outdoor options available to you there. Not only great West Virginia venues, but those of nearby Maryland and Pennsylvania are nearby and readily accessable.

And perhaps best of all, it has one of the Nation's lowest unemployment rates.

City of Morgantown, WV official website

Morgantown Awards Continue to grow

Arts&Entertainment - West Virginia University

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/images/topWVLogo2.jpg

West Virginia Public Theatre

The Pittsburgh Symphony performs in Morgantown:
WVU Today » Press Release » Pittsburgh Symphony to feature violinist Sarah Chang at WVU Feb. 11

You are 40 minutes from here:
Deep Creek Rentals | Deep Creek Maryland | Lake Vacations

10 minutes from here:
CheatLake.com -- The online guide to Cheat Lake and Morgantown, WV

12 minutes from here:
Coopers Rock State Forest - A West Virginia State Park

35 minutes from here:
Ohiopyle State Park, Pennsylvania

and there is much more... so I'd say Morgantown has a lot to offer.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:56 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
We certainly lag far back behind Denver and CC Springs for that matter, and the reason I say that is the cosmopolitan atmosphere of the Arts is at present, a little on the shy side. But...But...the CAC at WVU has made an honest effort to bring broadway to us. simple reason...several of the past WVU student body have jobs there and we want to see them at work.

Now is the time for the wine fests, food fests and soon the balloons...come one, come all, to the town that Morgan tried to build on the river.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:20 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Morgantown is Great.
Lots of Modern amenidies, with lots of friendly people.
And the University helps the town culturaly!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:28 PM

Thanks for all that info - have been checking out a lot since my first post. Couple of questions regarding where to live: which section of town is the "avoid it" section (every town has them, even the best of places!), and which are more desirable? Which are more affluent, and which are more historic? What about commuting from further away; what is Fairmont like? Or any of the small towns in southern PA? We would like to find affordable housing as well -- what about renting a nice house? I don't see a lot of listings online; what resources would you recommend to look for such?

Old 08-27-2009, 07:37 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I guess a good way to answer that is to find out what do you want to live in and how much can you afford to pay?

There's townhomes moderately priced in good areas and single families that can get a little pricey in 'new' areas but there some older homes in okay areas that are affordable...

What is it that you seek?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:05 PM

Ideally, I'd like to find a rental house, 3+ bedrooms - the larger the better. And (again, ideally) would like to pay less than $1000/mo. I see that living in M'town proper is obviously more expensive, so I have zero problems with looking further afield and driving into town for the job. Maybe even quiet countryside location, provided it's within 45 minutes of the city.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:15 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Well within 45 minutes of Mo-Town opens a lot of possibilities, as far south as Clarksburg areas.. Rt.79 is 70mph legal, lol. Areas of Fairmont really seem to come to mind for good rentals. Pricketts Fort area is pretty close, yet country.

However I believe most rentals are found within the towns/burb's. Not too many on the outskirts in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown