U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-15-2009, 06:38 AM

6,666 posts, read 4,992,074 times
Default Morgantown is Named a Top 20 College Town

The American Institute for Ecomonic Research has named Morgantown a Top 20 College Town.

WVUToday | Press Releases | West Virginia University
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 10:44 AM

2,954 posts, read 3,527,311 times
Congrats to them for being ranked #19 for MSAs under 250,000.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:40 PM

3,541 posts, read 3,047,864 times
Good for Morgantown.

It is such a great place. I want the world to see it, lol

#1 on my list!
#1.0001 State College, PA

Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Congrats to them for being ranked #19 for MSAs under 250,000.
Yes, and that is especially significant within the State since that category defines all MSAs therein. Only 75 towns made the category ranking nationwide. Considering that Morgantown immediately borders on the Pittsburgh MSA it is great that they were able to be so highly ranked.

In addition, Morgantown will rise in the rankings in coming years with the new research opportunities coming online. You heard it here first.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Yes, and that is especially significant within the State since that category defines all MSAs therein.
Wrong CT. Huntington and Charleston are both above 250,000 for the MSAs. Charleston is at about 304,000 and Huntington is at about 285,000 meaning they are both out of that category, the only 2 in the state. Morgantown has 116,000 in the MSA and is at risk of losing Preston County due to the new prison at Hazelton, per some of the polititians up there. If you read the details of the ranking, Morgantown was not in the same category as Pittsburgh either. Here's the quote:

"Morgantown placed 19th in the "college towns" category, which ranks towns under 250,000 residents, according to the Web site.

The rankings are broken into four tiers – "Major Metros," populations greater than 2.5 million; "Mid-size Metros," 1 to 2.5 million; "Small Cities," 250,000 to 1 million residents and "College Towns," under 250,000 residents."

So Morgantown was essentially the 19th best small metro.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:34 AM

You know, Tim, I don't put much stock in the whole MSA concept as it is deceptive and full of inconsistencies, but if you note, my original post said that Morgantown is a Top 20 "College Town". There was no need to try to minimize that on your part, but you were quick to jump in there with the "clarification" clearly pointing to that end.

There are population areas less than 10 miles from Morgantown that are technically in another MSA. There are major overlaps in the local MSAs including Pittsburgh, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Morgantown, and Cumberland. The MSAs in Charleston and Huntington are so large geographically and in Charleston's case, largely sparcely populated in the fringe areas as to render them of questionable value for analysis. If that weren't true, why would the retail sales and population data for Monongalia be in the main comparable to Cabell if Cabell had more than twice the MSA? Do you honestly think there is more interactivity betweeen Ironton and Huntington than there is between Fairmont and Morgantown? Yet Fairmont and Morgantown are listed in different MSAs. Interestingly, you are saying Preston might be put in another MSA only because it is growing. That illustrates my point. I know several Morgantown people who work in the Preston prisons. Invariably, these things are more closely tied to political boundaries than to actual population and/or economic situations. Especially with the smaller towns/areas, and every West Virginia town is a small town, such comparisons are meaningless.

But the real point here is Morgantown is highly ranked, and it is the only West Virginia town to attain that status. Everything else is meaningless, but if you wish I'll wait until you post something nice about Huntington and do as you did and try to find a way to minimize it with a backhanded compliment. I have no idea what you have against Morgantown, but it is clear you have some kind of personal issue there. As someone who, like you, is familiar with both Morgantown and Huntington, I notice a lot of jealousy in the latter with regard to the former.
I'm sure at the intellectual level you know that such attitudes are counter productive. I guess the real challenge comes in converting knowledge to practice. What's good for Morgantown is only bad for Huntington in your mind. It is not so in fact, and in fact Huntington stands to benefit from Morgantown's successes and prosperity, if only in an indirect manner.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 09-16-2009 at 09:04 AM..

Old 09-16-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
There was no need to try to minimize that on your part, but you were quick to jump in there with the "clarification" clearly pointing to that end.
My post congratulating them for what they won was only that, a post congratulating them. If posting what they won minimizes it in your eyes, that was not the intent. Sorry if you are so sensitive that you can't even take someone saying congrats. If you read anything else into it, that's your issue because nothing else was posted. How was it any different than you posting on the home sale increase in Huntington looking for numbers and a reason why? Did I react like this toward you? No.

Quote:
Everything else is meaningless, but if you wish I'll wait until you post something nice about Huntington and do as you did and try to find a way to minimize it with a backhanded compliment.
You mean like you do EVERY time something positive is posted about Huntington, so much to the point that other posters on here called you out on it and then you claimed you would never post another thing about Huntington but yet continue to do so? How would what you said you'd do above be any different than what you already do?

Quote:
As someone who, like you, is familiar with both Morgantown and Huntington, I notice a lot of jealousy in the latter with regard to the former. I'm sure at the intellectual level you know that such attitudes are counter productive. I guess the real challenge comes in converting knowledge to practice. What's good for Morgantown is only bad for Huntington in your mind. It is not so in fact, and in fact Huntington stands to benefit from Morgantown's successes and prosperity, if only in an indirect manner.
So calling you out on something you said that was clearly wrong is jealousy? You are the one who took offense and then made a post with incorrect facts out of feeling defensive. If there is so much jealousy on my part, how come you are the one who resorts to name calling and putting the other place down when we have our discussions? And sorry if you don't recognize MSAs but our government does and that's how they look at our regions.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:50 PM

Tim, you've been posting here a long time, and obviously have some friends. I think that is admirable, but anything I've been "called out" for you certainly could have been as well. And your response to my Top 20 college town comment was clearly a backhanded compliment... don't insult anyone's intelligence by claiming otherwise. What other purpose would you have for pointing out the populations involved, as though that meant anything significant?

Morgantown IS a college town. That is their identity, and it is what they aspire to remain. They have no desire to be a burned out, rusted industrial town with a struggling blue collar work force... a fate that has befallen many other towns including to some extent those in purportedly larger MSAs. It will never be a town that will invest precious resources to be able to host tractor pulls and female mud wrestling matches. It will leave that distinction to other erudite centers of enlightenment.

Would Morgantown turn down an "industry"? Of course not. But the writing is on the wall, and heavy industry is in general on the wane in this country. Coming from a blue collar background myself, I am disappointed in that development and the elitists who are bringing it about. But, Morgantown is not betting the ranch on a return to industrial sanity, and has taken the proper steps to position itself for prosperity in another type of economy.

They are also doing that with the proper attitude. They do not depend on the Nation's poorest state for support for the most important projects, and in spite of getting continually short changed by state government they have found a way to excell... no entitlement mentality that is seen in some other locations. That is also the mindset that will continue the successes to this point. If your town waits for the politicos to do it for you, it will always be sucking hind teat, especially in this state.

Apparently, the Federal Government has uses for their MSA concept. I'm an old guy who has lived in several of them including the very largest of them and am at a loss to explain any logical function since they are fraught with so many inconsistencies and overlaps. This whole state is comprised of small towns... there is not one single city of any real size here. In fact, there is not a cohesive collection of these small towns within our state that would taken together qualify as a large town. One could certainly make the argument that in cases of small town areas such as ours, the MSA designations are basically meaningless. Even the criteria they use to formulate them is largely subjective/political boundary/another town nearby cancels out yours structured.

One thing I do notice though is those areas that seem concerned with the size of their designated MSA are also those that have the most entitlement minded positions and those that seem to be struggling the most to even hold their own. "Can we stop the bleeding"? "Can we absorb nearby areas to keep our numbers up"? "Can we come up with a gimmic to pretend we are not losing population"? These are mantras I keep hearing over and over from some areas. Fortunately, Morgantown is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown