Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times

Advertisements

MSN Careers - Today's Best and Worst Cities for Jobs - Career Advice Article

Morgantown, W.Va.
No. of employed in July: 62,800
No. of employed in October: 64,300
Percent change: +2.4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 06:49 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
Silk...all this is showing is the college kids returning from summer break and taking the Taco Bell jobs..

Just goofy news hype and not realistic at all...people will believe this is legit....

If we are # 2 in the nation...then the nation is in real trouble...lol

Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
I saw this on Dateline awhile back. They had actually called Morgantown "The Most Recession-proof city in the US." On big reason-- a university town where restaurant, shops, etc. were being utilized. Another was the move away towards technology-based jobs including factories that produced things like motherboards and other computer products.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:53 AM

Recession Proof ????

Ask those kids what wage they make...they will tell you about the recession.

Mo-town just might be the 'capitol for Temps and Part Timers..

Where the work and money really is...'Being a landlord...lol

Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Sorry I'll have to agree with the others. 99 percent of them are probably $8/hr service industry jobs that college kids are doing. These people will all move out of the state of course once they graduate. The scary thing is the governments own statistics states that a lot of the job growth in the next 10 years is going to be in the low paying fields such as retail, food service, customer service, things like that. If you want a decent paying job that cannot be outsourced get into becoming an electrician. It's getting bad folks companies are cutting anyone they don't really need so get into a career that will always be needed. Healthcare is booming for a reason.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:58 AM

Journeyman Electrician or Plumber...# 1 and #2 for wage...

We have two commercial plumbers in Morgantown working in the public sector...one charges $165 per hour....the other $150...take your pick.

Certification is the key to this work...

Following those professions is HVAC...

None of them are boring style jobs either.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:27 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Yeah I totally agree D. Kennedy and like I said these types of jobs cannot be moved to China. If you're looking to start a new career or trying to decide on one that is so important. The colleges in WV need to expand some of their programs and have more things for people that want to get into these types of professions.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:34 PM

In 2004 I was faced with a life threathening illness.
I was forced to close my business and get ready to die.
Good Doctors and incredible vitamin therapy from a great chriopractor restored me to health.

I was very weak with the recovery and only able to work a few hours per day.

I did that as a 'Handy-man.

In 2 years it had mushroomed into an opportunity that was surprising.

Eventually, I was able to return to the 6.5 days a week...10/12 hrs per day that a larger business demanded and brought my company back into the public focus.

I constantly hear the diatribe...
'Lets move to Florida permanently and you can do that handyman work down there..."

Well, let me suggest this to anybody that can repair a few things...get that cheap state license and city permit...and go to work..(for yourself)...the state will let you make up to $2800 per job..

A simple business to run and very needed in our helpless society.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:23 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
David, I gotta disagree with you here. I picked up last Sunday's Dominion Post, and there were nearly 4 pages of Help Wanted ads, and the represents only a fraction of the jobs actually available. Even the NY Times doesn't have as many help wanted ads, and wandering around town I still see Help Wanted signs in shop windows. Now, are all these jobs at the administrative level of a major corporation? Of course not. But there are still good jobs to be had here, particularly in the Government and Construction sectors (and illicit aliens are generally not used here).

And, for unskilled individuals, there a couple new restaurants set to open at the Suncrest Center, one of which (Sonic) expects to hire 150 people. There seems to be something for just about everyone.

Now, where you might be right is in terms of the "number" of jobs created. Student employment right be reflected there, but WVU alone has
300 more employees now than this time last year due to intensified research activities.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:44 PM

243 posts, read 1,630,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
David, I gotta disagree with you here. I picked up last Sunday's Dominion Post, and there were nearly 4 pages of Help Wanted ads, and the represents only a fraction of the jobs actually available. Even the NY Times doesn't have as many help wanted ads, and wandering around town I still see Help Wanted signs in shop windows. Now, are all these jobs at the administrative level of a major corporation? Of course not. But there are still good jobs to be had here, particularly in the Government and Construction sectors (and illicit aliens are generally not used here).

And, for unskilled individuals, there a couple new restaurants set to open at the Suncrest Center, one of which (Sonic) expects to hire 150 people. There seems to be something for just about everyone.

Now, where you might be right is in terms of the "number" of jobs created. Student employment right be reflected there, but WVU alone has
300 more employees now than this time last year due to intensified research activities.
Hold on....Stop the presses...They're bringing a Sonic to Morgantown???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown