Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 PM

938 posts, read 2,898,289 times

Advertisements

If you want to be ahead of the curve, a new 4-lane 65MPH highway is about to be completed that will put towns like Uniontown and Smithfield in Pennsylvania within a short drive of Morgantown. If you buy soon, you could get a great deal as those towns will be more attractive in the future. (I think it opens in December, actually.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Howdy!

I am contemplating a job at WVU. I have done some reading about Morgantown, and it seems great. Could a mildly liberal Oregonian family of three land on our feet there and be happy? We live in Ashland, Oregon, a nice, but overpriced mountain town with hiking trails all around. We love being out doors all year, some winter sports, hiking, trail running, letting the dogs off leash, and camping. I looked into a position in Pittsburgh last year, and I liked that area.

I know the mountains are lower, and the culture different. Anyone been to both places that can enlighten me?
I am not from the Morgantown area but I would say you could land here and be very happy. I agree you won't get much land in Morgantown but the interstates are good and you could find what you describe.

Welcome to Mountaineer Country.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:05 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
I am not from the Morgantown area but I would say you could land here and be very happy. I agree you won't get much land in Morgantown but the interstates are good and you could find what you describe.

Welcome to Mountaineer Country.

Thanks bballjunkie!

Yes, I like what I am seeing. Rugged mountains, rushing rivers, beautiful forests, friendly, down-to-earth people, some snow in winter, but not a deep-freeze, a decent economy, and affordability. And striking distance from Pittsburgh or DC for educational/ cultural experiences once in a while. We are friendly folk that enjoy meeting good people, playing music, and just enjoying life. Hope this job search is successful!

FH

Old 04-18-2010, 08:11 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
If you like playing music, you can hook up with some talented
folks around here too.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:56 PM

938 posts, read 2,898,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Thanks bballjunkie!

Yes, I like what I am seeing. Rugged mountains, rushing rivers, beautiful forests, friendly, down-to-earth people, some snow in winter, but not a deep-freeze, a decent economy, and affordability. And striking distance from Pittsburgh or DC for educational/ cultural experiences once in a while. We are friendly folk that enjoy meeting good people, playing music, and just enjoying life. Hope this job search is successful!

FH
When you visit, come back and tell us how you liked it.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:36 AM

Default Hill Towns of Monongalia and Preston Counties?

In reading up on WV, I have noted that some people live up in the hills and commute in to Charleston. And folks here have recommended Preston County as a more affordable alternative to Morgantown. It looks like Brookhaven (in Mon. County), Masontown, Independence, and Kingwood are the best options. Can anyone comment on them as places to live? They look to be about 1000 feet higher, is the climate nicer than Morgantown, or harsher?

Good public schools are also important. We had a single six year old son relatively late in life, so want him to be near a town to visit other kids.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:40 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Kingwood is a nice small town, in the summer it's probably a few degrees cooler than Morgantown, in the winter it will get more snow.

Don't know if they still have it, but back in the 60s I remember going to march in the parade at the Buckwheat Festival there.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Kingwood is a nice small town, in the summer it's probably a few degrees cooler than Morgantown, in the winter it will get more snow.

Don't know if they still have it, but back in the 60s I remember going to march in the parade at the Buckwheat Festival there.
Thanks snorpus.

I created a new thread on this same topic, so we can discuss further there. Sorry for the duplication.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:23 AM

130 posts, read 367,870 times
Fiddlehead,

I for one, like your open-mindedness towards West Virginia. It's so hard to get people that 'want' (that's an overstatement for some people) to move here to understand that West Virginia is a great place to live, with some of the best and warm hearted people in the country. If new people are going to move here, I'd rather have people like you. People that don't subscribe to the preconceived notions that are in the National media (we're a bunch of poor meth heads, pill heads, etc. etc...see: Diane Sawyer's 'Documentary' on Appalachian 'culture'.) when that is the complete opposite.

As far as us being a bunch of 'hillbillies'...I'm proud of that distinction. haha. We love our mountains.

Morgantown and it's surrounding areas is a great place to live for someone who wants to raise a family. As long as you stay away from where the student's live (like other people said). The students tend to be a little crazy at times, and it's best you place yourself at a good distance otherwise you'll end up with some property damage at some point in time.

If you need anything, PM me. I don't live in Morgantown anymore (I'm originally from, and currently live down here in the Kanawha area) but if you need any info on WV in general. I can provide you with anything you need.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvissouri View Post
Fiddlehead,

I for one, like your open-mindedness towards West Virginia. It's so hard to get people that 'want' (that's an overstatement for some people) to move here to understand that West Virginia is a great place to live, with some of the best and warm hearted people in the country. If new people are going to move here, I'd rather have people like you. People that don't subscribe to the preconceived notions that are in the National media (we're a bunch of poor meth heads, pill heads, etc. etc...see: Diane Sawyer's 'Documentary' on Appalachian 'culture'.) when that is the complete opposite.

As far as us being a bunch of 'hillbillies'...I'm proud of that distinction. haha. We love our mountains.

Morgantown and it's surrounding areas is a great place to live for someone who wants to raise a family. As long as you stay away from where the student's live (like other people said). The students tend to be a little crazy at times, and it's best you place yourself at a good distance otherwise you'll end up with some property damage at some point in time.

If you need anything, PM me. I don't live in Morgantown anymore (I'm originally from, and currently live down here in the Kanawha area) but if you need any info on WV in general. I can provide you with anything you need.
Hi Vestvissouri,

Why would someone not be interested in West Virginia? And with all the mountains, rivers, and woods around, I suspect it would be a beautiful area to explore, fish, hike, raft, etc. Point taken about college kids. They can be a pain in any college town. I cannot say if the whole shebang would work for us without visiting, but it seems worthwhile to me. Of course, I am pursuing an academic position, so all this is a pretty longshot.

Counterintuitively, this could all work for us. I am shooting for an academic job,and they are very hard to get these days (75-150 applicants for a typical position), but perhaps the negative branding about West Virginia will thin the pool a little. In a competitive market, it helps to find a niche that one could personally tolerate (even enjoy), but others might not like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown