U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Status: "Okay. This is the one I meant to post." (set 11 days ago)

5,889 posts, read 4,010,888 times
Default Applications are Up at WVU

Article - WVU applications up (http://olive.dominionpost.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=RFBvc3QvMjAxMC8wNS8xNyNBcjAwNzAx&Mode=G if&Locale=english-skin-custom - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-17-2010, 11:27 AM

4,715 posts, read 7,989,782 times
Holding WVU's Tuition at last years rate has brought in more Pennsi and Maryland Kids...Good for us.

That piece of Mountaineer Parchment, and all that goes with it (football team...basketball team...marching band and the 13 colleges of higher learning offering 188 Degrees) is a bargain.

Unread 05-17-2010, 07:14 PM

54 posts, read 67,626 times
More applications is good news. Now, if they would just start turning down more of them.

Unread 05-17-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Holding WVU's Tuition at last years rate has brought in more Pennsi and Maryland Kids...Good for us.

That piece of Mountaineer Parchment, and all that goes with it (football team...basketball team...marching band and the 13 colleges of higher learning offering 188 Degrees) is a bargain.
Actually, West Virginia, which has the highest out-of-state tuition of any public school in the State, raised out-of-state tuition. They kept in-state tuition the same as a favor to Gov. Photo Op so he can pander for votes. In spite of the raise, they are still getting more applications.

Unread 05-18-2010, 07:49 AM

After reading your postings, I aquesque...

It would seem that the reason for the huge new enrollment is the the reputation of "Party School...

I can't fault these kids for 'wanting it all. I would too.

Hope they keep the condoms handy..

best to everybody....

Unread 05-18-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:

It would seem that the reason for the huge new enrollment is the the reputation of "Party School...

best to everybody....
Success on the athletic field gets the name in the public eye. It caused more folks to take a look at the school and they liked what they saw. I doubt parties had anything to do with it, but I suppose it couldn't hurt. We were beat out this year by whom? Princeton as the #1 party destination?
I think they give condoms away free at colleges these days but by some strange twist don't officially trust the young adults with a bottle of beer.
Go figure.

Unread 05-18-2010, 10:57 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,056,178 times
The new "in-region" rate that they are planning at WVU for people close by in bordering states will likely help out-of-state enrollment as well. From the sounds of it, it will be similar to Marshall's Metro rate.

"That approach could include creating an "in-region" tuition rate that would be lower than the standard cost non-West Virginians pay to attend WVU, Clements said.

Doing so would be a nod to the proximity and importance of Western Pennsylvania to WVU's Morgantown campus, said Chris Martin, a Jeannette native who is the school's vice president for university relations.

"WVU is like a third state university for (Western Pennsylvania)," Martin said, joining Pitt and Penn State University. "

WVU president suggests collaboration with CMU, Pitt | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/education-training/education-systems-institutions/13919315-1.html - broken link)

Unread 05-18-2010, 04:01 PM

That WVU, Pitt and CMU Triad has incredible possibilities...Best of Medical, Engineering and General Studies...all within 15 minutes of each other.
Wise minds are at work here...

Unread 05-18-2010, 06:31 PM

The only thing needed now to really cause North Central WV to take off in a positive manner is a light rail connection from Clarksburg up the Mon Valley to Pittsburgh. They are working on light rail in the 'Burgh. When they push it out the Mon the entire region will prosper including the educational institutions.

Unread 05-18-2010, 06:47 PM

519 posts, read 498,782 times
Quote:

best to everybody....
aquesque What's that big, fancy word? I can't find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown