Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 10:02 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,320,007 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Ok, I remember reading something about the FHA streamline rules changing awhile back. I didnt work on getting the exact details at the time because the numbers didnt quite pan out for me anyway since Im at 5.75% now so when rates were only at 5.25 etc it wasnt quite enough to bother.

BUT, with the recent (and especially today's) drop back under 5% it may well be worth it for me to reconsider. I will be in the home for the long term, so payback times are not a factor really.

SO, my questions are, what were the changes? Are the Streamlines still allowed to roll the new MIP and closing costs into the loan (yes I understand this will mean a slightly higher rate)? Is it still no income and asset verification to allow for speedy processing?

I am current and have never been late in the two years I have had the loan.

Thank you in advance for any updated information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 10:36 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,001,531 times
Yes, you can roll the closing costs and new escrow into the new loan as long as your home will appraise for enough to allow it to be rolled into new mortgage.

Yes, you can still do it with no income or assets but the lender will verify you are employed.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 AM

Ok, so is that the difference now? I think in the past there was no appraisal, with the theory being that as long as you werent taking cash out, and the overall payment was LESS than the current payment, it was actually lowering risk for the FHA.

But now if you are trying to do a "no upfront cost" version, it requires a new appraisal?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:47 AM

768 posts, read 4,330,497 times
The full details on the new requirements can be found at http://www.hud.gov/offices/adm/hudcl...es/09-32ml.doc

Some of the more important points to consider:

1. Loan must have a net tangible benefit of either:

• reduction in the total mortgage payment (principal, interest, taxes and insurances, homeowners’ association fees, ground rents, special assessments and all subordinate liens),
• refinancing from an adjustable rate mortgage (ARM) to a fixed rate mortgage,
OR
• reducing the term of the mortgage.

Those are explained in further detail within the link above.

2. Employment is verified & if funds are needed to close, they must be verified as coming from the borrowers own accounts.

3. Credit is checked and a qualifying score must be obtained (most lenders are requiring 640)

4. If you choose the no appraisal option then the new mortgage amount cannot exceed the current loans principal balance (this can include accrued, but not delinquent, interest), minus the UFMIP refund. The new UFMIP (currently 2.25%) can be added to that figure.

5. If you choose to do the streamline with an appraisal then like with the old guidelines, you can include closing costs & prepaids to establish the new escrow account, but cannot exceed 97.75% of the new appraised value. Keep in mind if you get an appraisal and it the value comes in less than what is owed, you cannot switch to the no appraisal streamline option and disregard the appraised value. From my records Casa Grande values in general have depreciated over the last 12 months, so this is definitely something to be aware of in your situation.

Majority of lenders are still reviewing income & debts to make sure the situation hasn't worsened, as they don't want to take on a loan where there is a likelihood of an early default. There are still lenders who aren't reviewing income & debts however.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 AM

Thanks Shane. So its like other things in the industry - i.e, the FEDS are only REQUIRING certain things, but lenders are free to add additional guidelines on top of those, and many are it sounds like.

Thanks. I ll think about it some more.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:46 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,001,531 times
yes, lenders have many overlays to the FHA guidelines.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:25 AM

8,643 posts, read 22,799,829 times
Also, be aware - there are pricing differences between the no appraisal and appraisal options. In my area, it's running 1/4 point higher to go the no appraisal route. On the 350K mortgage I just worked up, that was $875 vs. the $400 for the appraisal.

Other than equity being absent, the only other reason I would not recommend ordering an appraisal would be if the owner is in the middle of renovations (for example has a gutted bathroom). I haven't tried flipping from a full appraisal streamline to a no appraisal streamline.......if you let the cat out (property problems), will you be able to stuff the cat back in? (especially when the appraisal is logged w/ FHA). If rates hold, it's going to be interesting. A record number of homes with renovation issues have gone to the table in the past 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages