Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:50 AM

768 posts, read 4,342,265 times

Advertisements

007 - the information is outdated, Fannie Mae now requires 7 years on foreclosure unless it was due to an extenuating circumstance. They time requirement does not differentiate between a strategic default and being foreclosed/short selling for normal reasons... only differentiates if it's an extenuating circumstance (such as medical). At one point it was 5 years, but Fannie quickly changed their guidelines after that change.

https://www.efanniemae.com/sf/guides...10/sel1008.pdf is the link that explains the newest foreclosure seasoning guidelines.

To the OP, it is too late for this, but you probably should have tried for a loan modification instead of mediation. You don't have to go behind on your mortgage payments to get a loan modification either, read my blog entry at http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...tgage-get.html about a past client of mine who was able to get it done without going late, while he was on an interest only ARM, with a bank you are extremely familiar with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:02 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I can perfect see why teh bank would not want to finace a loan o a property that isn't worth half that owed. They would be carazy to do so;really.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 AM

tex - if the lender already has the mortgage, it's being proactive to avoid future problems. That is what the OP was trying to do, addressing the issue now that would eventually come to light down the road. Chase has done this to select mortgage customers, not only converting an interest only or ARM loan into a fixed rate, but allowing principal reductions as well. Chase has even initiated the process without it's customers requesting it.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:52 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanetheMortgageMan View Post
tex - if the lender already has the mortgage, it's being proactive to avoid future problems. That is what the OP was trying to do, addressing the issue now that would eventually come to light down the road. Chase has done this to select mortgage customers, not only converting an interest only or ARM loan into a fixed rate, but allowing principal reductions as well. Chase has even initiated the process without it's customers requesting it.
YOu aware of them doing it when the home is more than 50% under water?

That is pretty much the standard condition here. Got a condo at 24% of last sale.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:33 PM

I know they are doing it when the home is underwater, particularly in the Las Vegas market (I've heard of two separate people there who have Chase getting the offer), but I don't have exact specifics on how underwater each customer is when Chase is offers it. Condos have been very hard hit in Vegas I know, had a client who purchased theirs for $150k and when we had to do a CMA it came in about $55k.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:23 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Can't you just pay them the amount in arrears plus the late fees and keep going on the existing loan?

Old 07-08-2010, 06:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanetheMortgageMan View Post
I know they are doing it when the home is underwater, particularly in the Las Vegas market (I've heard of two separate people there who have Chase getting the offer), but I don't have exact specifics on how underwater each customer is when Chase is offers it. Condos have been very hard hit in Vegas I know, had a client who purchased theirs for $150k and when we had to do a CMA it came in about $55k.
All the anecdotes I know involve people with 15% or 20% underwater. I am flatly skeptical that anyone has done any principal reduction with the real numbers.

That is the problem here. What you hear in most of the country is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages