Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:27 AM

37 posts, read 76,285 times

Advertisements

Background: 660 score...30 year FHA Fixed...
Loan amount..$177434
Started out with a 5.25%.
Rate renegotiated to 5.0% couple weeks ago and locked.
Total Estimated Settlement Charges..$9276.94
Also it says I am paying a charge of $443.59 for this rate

We are working with a local broker who is very courteous and always available to answer any questions at any time. But, my concern is are we getting the best deal?
First of all, why are we having to buy points, is this normal right now for this type of rate?
Also, should I renegotiate a 4.75% rate right now? (with no points)
What goes into renegotiating the rate, what is the process? Will it slow us down on closing (our underwriting starts next week).
Also, is the broker suppose to help us get the rate or is he looking out for his own interests because he didn't seem to happy about even taking it down to the 5.0%?? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 10:34 AM

768 posts, read 4,329,910 times
If this a normal FHA loan, or are you going for an FHA 203k rehab loan? If it's the normal FHA loan (203b) then this is a real high rate & closing costs - should be in the neighborhood of 4.25-4.5% with no points. At 5% instead of you paying points, they should be crediting you $3k+ towards your other closing costs.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:48 AM

Hi Shane! Thanks for the info...yes, it is a normal 203b FHA...Break down of closing costs..Adjusted Origination Charges...$1438.59
Charges for other Settlement Services...$7838.35 (This includes taxes and insurance).

For this size loan what is the average closing costs I should expect? Thanks again!

Old 07-17-2010, 11:53 AM

The "other settlement services" are 3rd parties that the mortgage lender/broker has minimal control over (especially if this is a purchase), so the "adj. original charge" is what to keep in mind. It's a bit on the high side but if it's a broker then it's about normal. For those charges the rate should be in the 4.25-4.5% arena. Lowering the rate doesn't start the underwriting process all over again, it's just a small change that will be factored into the underwriting when it gets done, and a lower rate only increases the likelihood of approval since it lowers your debt to income ratio.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:05 PM

167 posts, read 494,687 times
Just a little bit off topic here but still related to the OP.

Shane,

Would the % down payment affect the rate? Say if the OP is only putting 3.5% down, then the rate is a bit higher than if the OP were putting 20% down.

I was in the process of getting a Fannie Mae HomePath loan and my loan officer said the rate was approx. 0.5% higher if I put 3% down than if I put, say, 5% down.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:17 PM

With FHA 3.5% down qualifies for the same rate as 50% down.

Fannie Mae is different, there are quite a few more variables (credit score, loan-to-value, and loan term) that go into determining the interest rate. All other things being equal, 5% or more down on Fannie Mae loan programs qualifies for the same rate. When just putting 3-4.99% down it qualifies for quite a bit higher rate (about 1/2%).

Old 07-17-2010, 03:58 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,604,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2mov View Post
Background: 660 score...30 year FHA Fixed...
Loan amount..$177434
Started out with a 5.25%.
Rate renegotiated to 5.0% couple weeks ago and locked.
Total Estimated Settlement Charges..$9276.94
Also it says I am paying a charge of $443.59 for this rate

We are working with a local broker who is very courteous and always available to answer any questions at any time. But, my concern is are we getting the best deal?
First of all, why are we having to buy points, is this normal right now for this type of rate?
Also, should I renegotiate a 4.75% rate right now? (with no points)
What goes into renegotiating the rate, what is the process? Will it slow us down on closing (our underwriting starts next week).
Also, is the broker suppose to help us get the rate or is he looking out for his own interests because he didn't seem to happy about even taking it down to the 5.0%?? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Among the very savvy there is a saying......"Borrow long but pay short"

In other words that means borrow for a long enough time to keep the payments doable but pay off as quick as you can to get a real deal lower rate at the end of the day because you've avoided thousands of dollars in interest.

A "prepayment penalty clause" is a real enemy and should never ever be agreed to.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:26 AM

608 posts, read 1,341,891 times
Don't forget with only 3.5% down you will pay PMI every month, looks like around $70-80

Old 07-18-2010, 07:22 PM

Am I asking too much for a 4.5% with no points right now? How do I approach my broker with this..how do I respond if he says there is no way to get this rate? The whole process is extremely intimidating, so would appreciate any help getting my ducks in a row. Also, another quick question...i don't understand why he has us paying points right now anyway, why do some pay and not others? Also, doesn't every loan institution have basically the same rates that they can issue...I don't really understand why there is such a big difference in rates when there is an identical situation (credit score, etc..) given when talking to different banks, brokers etc...

Sorry about the rambling of questions....a little peak inside what goes on in my head

Old 07-18-2010, 09:19 PM

608 posts, read 1,341,891 times
Its not really that hard at all. The loan officer, if he is any good, is trying to get you the best rate he/she can. But the loan officer is also responsible on the other end to make sure the loan will get paid. AND there is nothing to say that you can't go to someone else to get your mortgage. You do NEED to shop around, at one point I had talked to 12 different mortgage companies to get the best mortgage for me. Also, if people are willing to loan you money and you have a job YOU are in the driver's seat asking for 4.5% is not asking too much. If the loan officer says it is, tell him that you were quoted that rate from another mortgage company. Also being locked doesn't mean it wouldn't go down anyway. I was locked last year at 5.5% when I went to closing my loan officer managed to drop that down even further to 5.125% and asked me if that was ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages