Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:00 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
The bank (or an appraisal management co.) is REQUIRED to order the appraisal, since that is the law. Property owners haven't been able to hire their own appraisers for loan purposes for many years.
When you use the word REQUIRED, you should cite your sources. You are wrong.

First, HVCC is not law. It's the guidelines a lender must adopt if they plan to sell the loan to Fannie Mae after March 1, 2008. This means, if a bank is a portfolio lender, the lender can and does order the appraisal directly with the appraiser. Loans already in a banks portfolio are also not subject to HVCC.

Each bank has their own written guidelines for removing PMI. Some will order the appraisal direct, some will provide the homeowner with a list of accepted appraiser. Your mileage will vary.

https://www.efanniemae.com/sf/guides/ssg/relatedsellinginfo/appcode/pdf/hvccfaqs.pdf (broken link)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PMI REMOVAL FANNIE.pdf (5.2 KB, 169 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,254 times
I purchased an apt complex in 2008 and got an appraisal. I recently got a mortgage on same property and was required to get another appraisal. The difference between 2008 and 2010 appraisal was $2000. Can I ask for my money back?

Old 11-17-2010, 03:18 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idelbarrio View Post
I purchased an apt complex in 2008 and got an appraisal. I recently got a mortgage on same property and was required to get another appraisal. The difference between 2008 and 2010 appraisal was $2000. Can I ask for my money back?
No. The appraiser did his/her job.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
When you use the word REQUIRED, you should cite your sources. You are wrong.

First, HVCC is not law. It's the guidelines a lender must adopt if they plan to sell the loan to Fannie Mae after March 1, 2008. This means, if a bank is a portfolio lender, the lender can and does order the appraisal directly with the appraiser. Loans already in a banks portfolio are also not subject to HVCC.

Each bank has their own written guidelines for removing PMI. Some will order the appraisal direct, some will provide the homeowner with a list of accepted appraiser. Your mileage will vary.

https://www.efanniemae.com/sf/guides/ssg/relatedsellinginfo/appcode/pdf/hvccfaqs.pdf (broken link)
The requirement of the lender/LO ordering the appraisal for Fannie backed loans goes back well before the HVCC was even thought of.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:10 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
The requirement of the lender/LO ordering the appraisal for Fannie backed loans goes back well before the HVCC was even thought of.
Actually back to FIRREA (1989), and even R41a (and b and c) for the old S&L's. Appraisers and banks/lenders are still subject to the rules of FIRREA which clearly state that lenders or their agents are the only ones allowed to order appraisals. Only on "federally related transactions", of course. Which means virtually all bank loans.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:19 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,016,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
The bank (or an appraisal management co.) is REQUIRED to order the appraisal, since that is the law. Property owners haven't been able to hire their own appraisers for loan purposes for many years.
Not for many years, but since last year.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
Not for many years, but since last year.
"FIRREA RESTRICTS INVESTORS

One of the basic tenants of FIRREA is that a borrower cannot have any involvement in ordering an appraisal that a federally regulated institution will use for lending purposes. This rule comes as a surprise to many investors who typically order their own appraisals; it also shocks a few employees at investors' favorite federally regulated lending institutions.

"Borrowers often don't realize that they can't order an appraisal any more. When they do, they expect that a federally regulated lender will accept it," says Harris "Bo" Simpson, CRE, MAI, a principal at Greystone Valuation Services. "Sometimes their contact at the bank itself doesn't even know this. There have even been instances where bankers have actually encouraged their clients to order an appraisal, only to find that their bank will not accept it simply on the basis of by whom it was ordered." "

FIRREA and Its Effect on the Investment Community | Real Estate Issues | Find Articles at BNET

Old 11-18-2010, 10:20 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,016,839 times
Sure, the borrower couldnt order it, but many times i had a borrower ask me to use a specific appraiser so i would place the order for the consumer. That was before HVCC of course. So, prior to HVCC, the consumer could decide on who appraises their home.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Sure, the borrower couldnt order it, but many times i had a borrower ask me to use a specific appraiser so i would place the order for the consumer. That was before HVCC of course. So, prior to HVCC, the consumer could decide on who appraises their home.
No, they could not. Not legally.

I know it happened frequently, but it was against the "rules".

Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I think we're debating over semantics. Quite simply, a borrower is not allowed to go out and hire their own appraiser and use it for a federally related transaction (loan or mortgage) and expect the lender to accept it. FIRREA is quite clear on this. What you are saying is that you, as the lender, ordered the appraisal and not the property owner who merely stated their preference. You may have complied, but the borrower still didn't order the appraisal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages