U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,006 times

Advertisements

can CA HOA collect past dues on condo/HOA dues discharged in BK/foreclosure 3/08? I surrendered/moved fromthe condo in 6/07, but just recd demand for 23K dues period 8/07-current. The attorney handling the BK/foreclosure said HOA/collection agency is in violation of the BK discharge, but a 2nd attorney say HOA can try to collect as condo title is still in my name which is untrue as I ran a title search yesterday. Can they collect via sale of condo (which is fine with me.) My fear is if they try to garnish wages, sue or ruin my (rebuilt) credit. HELP PLEASE & THANKS, M. Noe..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 04:07 PM

41,911 posts, read 31,752,284 times
Have your attorney make relevent Section 523 (16) of the Bankruptcy Code to the dates of your actions:

Section 523- Exceptions to discharge

(a) A discharge under section 727, 1141, 1228 (a), 1228 (b), or 1328 (b) of this title does not discharge an individual debtor from any debt—

(16) for a fee or assessment that becomes due and payable after the order for relief to a membership association with respect to the debtor’s interest in a dwelling unit that has condominium ownership or in a share of a cooperative housing corporation, but only if such fee or assessment is payable for a period during which—
(A) the debtor physically occupied a dwelling unit in the condominium or cooperative project; or
(B) the debtor rented the dwelling unit to a tenant and received payments from the tenant for such period,
but nothing in this paragraph shall except from discharge the debt of a debtor for a membership association fee or assessment for a period arising before entry of the order for relief in a pending or subsequent bankruptcy case;

Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,006 times
Default Can CA HOA collect past dues on condo/HOA dues discharged in 2008 BK/foreclosure?

Thanks for you response, but I am not sure if it says I DO or DON'T owe past dues? I vacated the property 6/07 so didn't live there even before the BK (surrendered to the lender,) did not rent it out, so does the BK/foreclosure protect me from past dues or not? The last few lines of your response are a little confusing. Pls respond ASAP and THANKS, I sure appreciate your help, Michele N.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:36 PM

41,911 posts, read 31,752,284 times
My take is that you are on the hook.

The real purpose of my response was to advise you to contact a real estate attorney in your state for a legal opinion.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 PM

3,701 posts, read 3,997,002 times
My reading is that you are not on the hook. However, I'm not an expert in the field of bankruptcy nor am I privy to the facts in your individual case. Therefore, if I were you, I'd pay the bankruptcy attorney to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or