U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-23-2010, 08:35 AM
 
1 posts, read 47,086 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

What's a lenders credit ?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2010, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Wake Forest, NC
835 posts, read 2,502,088 times
Reputation: 625
Your loan officer is taking a portion of their fee paid directly to them from the bank and paying some or all of your closing costs with it. This is how no closing cost loans are done.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2010, 04:43 AM
 
Location: MID ATLANTIC
4,346 posts, read 9,506,878 times
Reputation: 3316
Think of a lender's credit as negative points.

If you have a 200K loan amount and are getting a 1 point lender's credit, the lender is giving you $2000 towards your closing costs.......and only towards your closing costs (and prepaids). Under no circumstances will that credit go towards down payment or in your pocket. It's also counted against the total concessions a loan program allows. For example, if you are limited to a total of 3% (seller's) concession, any lender concession is counted in that maximum concession.

Obviously, interest rates that allow for a lender credit are higher than interest rates without a lender credit.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 12:18 PM
 
1 posts, read 44,743 times
Reputation: 10
So in essence, a lender's credit is a fee to the buyer or person who is re-financing?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 12:25 PM
 
3,410 posts, read 7,857,890 times
Reputation: 1461
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboy View Post
So in essence, a lender's credit is a fee to the buyer or person who is re-financing?
Not a fee. A borrower is accepting a higher interest rate for lower costs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2011, 01:22 PM
 
3 posts, read 45,505 times
Reputation: 14
That is the amount that add to the closing cost which the borrower has to pay for. That is what I see on my GFE
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 AM
 
920 posts, read 2,494,324 times
Reputation: 296
All else being equal, higher lender credit is good for the borrower.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 AM
 
41 posts, read 240,388 times
Reputation: 22
Default Lender's credit pros and cons

Are there any drawbacks in taking lender's credit?

I'm offered $1,7xx.xx lender's credit for 0.125% on a 15yr fixed loan (loan amount $270k). This credit will cost me $17 a month, so it'll take bank 8,3 years to recoup this money.

The way I look at it - if I decide to do anything with this loan within 8,3 years (refinance, sell the house, pay off) I'll end up saving money by taking this credit.
So, what are the gotchas?

Thanks.

P.S. Just to be very clear - this is what 2nd page of my GFE looks like
1. Origination charge $0
2. Your Credit or charge (points) for specific rate chosen
-2nd checkbox checked. Credit of $1,7xx.xx for this interest rate of 3.375%

A Your adjusted origination charges ($1,7xx.xx)

So, essentially I'm getting $1,7xx.xx credit towards closing costs, which are title ($1k), endorsements ($150), misc charges and interest on a new loan (this is refi). If I still have something left from $1,7xx.xx, can it go towards appraisal which I pay out of pocket at the beginning?

Last edited by Nikon5400; 11-10-2011 at 12:37 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2011, 07:13 AM
 
Location: MID ATLANTIC
4,346 posts, read 9,506,878 times
Reputation: 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon5400 View Post
Are there any drawbacks in taking lender's credit?

I'm offered $1,7xx.xx lender's credit for 0.125% on a 15yr fixed loan (loan amount $270k). This credit will cost me $17 a month, so it'll take bank 8,3 years to recoup this money.

The way I look at it - if I decide to do anything with this loan within 8,3 years (refinance, sell the house, pay off) I'll end up saving money by taking this credit.
So, what are the gotchas?

Thanks.

P.S. Just to be very clear - this is what 2nd page of my GFE looks like
1. Origination charge $0
2. Your Credit or charge (points) for specific rate chosen
-2nd checkbox checked. Credit of $1,7xx.xx for this interest rate of 3.375%

A Your adjusted origination charges ($1,7xx.xx)

So, essentially I'm getting $1,7xx.xx credit towards closing costs, which are title ($1k), endorsements ($150), misc charges and interest on a new loan (this is refi). If I still have something left from $1,7xx.xx, can it go towards appraisal which I pay out of pocket at the beginning?

Yes, provided you can prove you paid it and it cleared your account. You can never pocket a refund you put on credit. That said, do check with your lender. Not everyone does what's allowed and you must state this early on and not at the closing table - it changes the final figures.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2011, 08:31 PM
 
41 posts, read 240,388 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Yes, provided you can prove you paid it and it cleared your account. You can never pocket a refund you put on credit. That said, do check with your lender. Not everyone does what's allowed and you must state this early on and not at the closing table - it changes the final figures.
Are you referring to appraisal? I know they dictate what this credit can be used for. I think it can be used on the interest on a new loan, and not on the old loan. If this is true, then I'll need to make sure I close at the right time.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top