Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:17 PM

228 posts, read 818,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I have no idea what you mean by an "enhanced type" of policy. Title insurance is regulated by the state of Texas so each company has to charge the exact same amount for the same thing across the state. It might be different in your state? The only add-on is the lender's coverage, and the buyer pays for that, unless there are funds left over from the closing costs a buyer has asked a seller to pay.
First American Title Insurance Company for example has a standard ALTA policy and an Eagle Protection Owner's Policy that has enhanced coverage, which cost more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 05:14 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
Wow, so I went to a Notary and had everything signed and sent in my cashiers check for closing last Wednesday. I emailed asking if the house was sold (today). I was told the buyers are signing today. Well I was called by the Title company and they said they made an error and I'm short 300 and that I need to get another cashiers check for the 300 and send it in. I paid what was said in the closing paperwork.

My question is, I thought they make sure everything is right before sending it to me? And can they legally come back after the fact and say I need to send more money? They said the error was that they didn't include the Appraisal fee and that instead of paying the 3500 for buyers contribution I only paid 3100. I'll pay it but the fact is it's their business to be right before sending me all the paperwork, no?

Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,016,839 times
They should get it right but mistakes can happen.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:54 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
My realtor is looking into it. but I signed the closing paperwork on the 16th and I find out (called) that the new owners are getting the utilities switched on the 26th. Do I really have to pay for this until the 26th? I was told to keep the utilities turned on and agreed but not to pay the new owners utilities for 10 days.

I know it's not much but it's the principal about it.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:00 PM

49 posts, read 190,478 times
daniel,

Your agent should be able to answer your last question, but It depends on what your purchase agreement says. Traditionally, in MN, the Seller pays for the day of closing and the Buyer is responsible after that. Unless the agreement states differently, just take the utilities out of your name and give the utility company the name and phone number of the Buyer (or just the name if that's all you have) and leave it at that. Your states laws might differ, but in MN that's all you need to do and it will be up to the Buyer to take care of the rest.

This all said, consult your agent, the contract, and your local government utility advisory/control agency for an exact answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages