Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:28 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,622 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone and happy holidays.

I use this forum to help purchase my mortgage in June 2008. Now I want to know if I can refinance for a lower interest rate. Here are the details:

Loan Date: June 2008
Original loan amount: 157,7533.00
Principal balance: 152,973.51
30 year fixed interest rate: 6.125%
2010 Appraised Value: 161,860

My credit score is good. My only loan debt is student loan and mortgage. Please let me know if more information is needed to determine if I can refinance for a lower interest rate.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Hello everyone and happy holidays.

I use this forum to help purchase my mortgage in June 2008. Now I want to know if I can refinance for a lower interest rate. Here are the details:

Loan Date: June 2008
Original loan amount: 157,7533.00
Principal balance: 152,973.51
30 year fixed interest rate: 6.125%
2010 Appraised Value: 161,860

My credit score is good. My only loan debt is student loan and mortgage. Please let me know if more information is needed to determine if I can refinance for a lower interest rate.

Thanks in advance.
If you plan on being in the house for a long time then yes.

Call your CURRENT mortgage holder and talk to them about it and see what deal they will give you.

I did one a number of years ago and they gave me a "no fee" refinance with minimal paperwork for a slightly higher interest rate than I could get with other mortgage providers.

If you can get say....4.25% on a 30 fixed your mortgage will drop by $175/mo but if you are itemizing on your taxes you will lose about $50 worth of tax dedcutions.

So, if it costs you $3,000 to refinance it will take you 3000/125 = 2 years to break even.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I don't think anyone is getting a rate of 4.25 these days without paying a lot in points.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you plan on being in the house for a long time then yes.

Call your CURRENT mortgage holder and talk to them about it and see what deal they will give you.

I did one a number of years ago and they gave me a "no fee" refinance with minimal paperwork for a slightly higher interest rate than I could get with other mortgage providers.

If you can get say....4.25% on a 30 fixed your mortgage will drop by $175/mo but if you are itemizing on your taxes you will lose about $50 worth of tax dedcutions.

So, if it costs you $3,000 to refinance it will take you 3000/125 = 2 years to break even.
Thanks for that input. yes, i plan on staying the house for a long time.

I wanted the lender to roll the cost of refiance into the loan if thats possible. I didnt want to pay any upfront cost.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:41 PM

768 posts, read 4,342,265 times
What was the appraisal for that you got this year? Are you in an FHA or VA loan now, or conventional?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanetheMortgageMan View Post
What was the appraisal for that you got this year? Are you in an FHA or VA loan now, or conventional?
Thanks. The 2010 Appraised Value: $161,860. I have a FHA loan.

Again,thanks

Old 12-29-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't think anyone is getting a rate of 4.25 these days without paying a lot in points.
It was (obvious to most) meant as an example to show the payback period net of tax ramifications.

If you want to contribute content instead of just pot-shotting then please do so.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that input. yes, i plan on staying the house for a long time.

I wanted the lender to roll the cost of refiance into the loan if thats possible. I didnt want to pay any upfront cost.
I wasn't talking about rolling the refi cost into the loan, I was talking about seeing if you can get some sort of express refi where there are few if any costs but *maybe* pay a little higher interest rate.

They might not even be offering such a thing but thought it worth mentioning.

Ultimately you will get your available options and then sort through which ones make the most sense.

Might want to consider a 20yr. mortgage too which would keep your payment about the same (perhaps) and get you done with the loan faster.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:59 AM

768 posts, read 4,342,265 times
Quote:
Thanks. The 2010 Appraised Value: $161,860. I have a FHA loan.

Again,thanks
I was asking what was the reason for the appraisal this year. Seems odd you got an appraisal, as most homeowners just don't go out spending $300-400 on an appraisal, and equally as odd is the appraised value of $161,860... most appraised values are rounded to the nearest $1k, or $500.

Are you sure this wasn't a tax assessment? Tax assessments are not appraisals, and may not even be truly indicative of your home's value, as they can lag by 12-24 months. Just an FYI.

However since you have an FHA loan, even if you owe more than what your home is worth, you would still have the option of doing a streamline refinance without using the current value (no appraisal streamline refinance). If you get an appraisal, you can include the new loans closing costs into the new mortgage amount (up to 97.15% of the appraised value)... but with the no appraisal option you have to pay your closing costs out of pocket.

There are "no cost" refinances but the lower your loan amount, the higher the rate will be, because the costs are covered by generating extra profit, and larger loan amounts make more profit, so the rate doesn't have to increase as much as if it were a smaller loan amount. $150k is typically around the cutoff most lenders have for being able to do a no cost refinance.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanetheMortgageMan View Post
I was asking what was the reason for the appraisal this year. Seems odd you got an appraisal, as most homeowners just don't go out spending $300-400 on an appraisal, and equally as odd is the appraised value of $161,860... most appraised values are rounded to the nearest $1k, or $500.

Are you sure this wasn't a tax assessment? Tax assessments are not appraisals, and may not even be truly indicative of your home's value, as they can lag by 12-24 months. Just an FYI.

However since you have an FHA loan, even if you owe more than what your home is worth, you would still have the option of doing a streamline refinance without using the current value (no appraisal streamline refinance). If you get an appraisal, you can include the new loans closing costs into the new mortgage amount (up to 97.15% of the appraised value)... but with the no appraisal option you have to pay your closing costs out of pocket.

There are "no cost" refinances but the lower your loan amount, the higher the rate will be, because the costs are covered by generating extra profit, and larger loan amounts make more profit, so the rate doesn't have to increase as much as if it were a smaller loan amount. $150k is typically around the cutoff most lenders have for being able to do a no cost refinance.
Thanks Shane. I got the appraisal value from the 2010 Tax Statment. Where do I find the appraisal value from? Is there a website?

I will call my mortage loan bank (Chase) and ask what refinance options do I have. I wasnt sure if I was able to refinance due to I only been in the house for 2.6 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages