U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2011, 10:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,620 times

Advertisements

My loan app was recently turned over to underwriting at Wells Fargo. We got declined immediately because the tax returns they pulled from the IRS database did not match the current tax returns. The current tax returns for the two years in question were amended returns. WF does not have the ability to pull this amended info off their computer, according to IRS. We went to IRS and got statements and submitted them to our LO a while back.

Our amended returns show a balance of 35, 000 that we owed to the IRS. We sent a letter to WF earlier also that low income was declared for the two years in question because of child custody issues. Once the custody petition was over, which took over a year, we filed amended tax returns which we know will require us to pay the additional taxes owed.

Our file was submitted to the next underwriter after it got declined by the first one because of the mismatched IRS tax info. WF will call the IRS again to ask if we had a payment plan and IRS will say no, because we don't have any. We haven't even received a bill from the IRS. We know how much we owe but we have not sat down with them for an arrangement.

However, we anticipated how much this tax revision will cost us every month, and this expense is factored in with our monthly income already, meaning we have allocated funds for this in our monthly budget that we submitted to WF.

Now that the second WF underwriter has the amended tax returns, what would he/she do with the IRS issue of payment plan. We know why she would be interested in it because it's extra monthly expense. But, we also gave her a copy of an IRS policy that payment arrangements can be made for up to 5 years. Will she just then divide what we owe by 60 months and stop the issue at that point. As I said the allowance for this expense is alreadyfactored into our debt/income ratio.

How would WF handle this? I am a single father who has barely slept almost two weeks. I had missed work because I just couldn't function; too terrified to go out there and face the world. I fear I will have a heart attack. My credit score also went down by 30 points in the second pull but my LO said I'm still OK, barely though.

Someone please give me some thoughts or share some experiences along this line as I am losing my mind. I'm a single father who simply wants to purchase an old home for my young daughter. Everything is for her. Thanks Ed
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 06:01 AM

15,961 posts, read 5,008,760 times
You must NOT let these financial problems upset you and destroy your health.

I know, easier said than done.

What if you learn today you have inoperable cancer and have just three or fours months to live? Kinda puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

In May of '08 I was laid off my job due to the Recession. Month after month I could not find a job. I'm a homeowner and have mortgage payments to make. I was going crazy with anxiety, falling behind in paying my bills, my credit score dropping. I was afraid of foreclosure. I too was losing sleep, obsessing about my problems, feeling depressed.

It wasn't worth it. By January of '09 I found a job - paying much less than my previous job, but just enough to pay bills and catch up on my mortgage payments.

Life is about survival. We do what we can. Recently one of my best friends - a Professor at Drexel - had to file bankruptcy because a divorce a few years ago destroyed his finances. He had to borrow the $2000 to pay the lawyer so he could file for bankruptcy.

I know this doesn't really relate to your specific problem. I just want to say I too was worrying myself to death. Don't despair! Things will get better. If you can't afford to buy your daughter a new house, it is not the end of the world. She will not be homeless.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:59 AM

7,785 posts, read 10,452,198 times
good advise.. ^^^^^.. just keep at it and it will work out.. Be strong.. Don't let it get you down..

Old 01-14-2011, 08:10 AM

7,783 posts, read 12,002,970 times
While I sympathize with your situation, this isn't a Philadelphia-specific topic. I'm moving this thread to the Mortgages sub-forum within the Real Estate forum located further down the page. Best of luck to you.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:22 PM

4,032 posts, read 8,732,468 times
Tax liens are priority liens - the lender must do everything possible to make sure the property will not be encumbered by a tax lien. $35,000 (plus interest) is not chump change. Absolutely, the underwriters should see the payment plan before making a decision. Did your estimated payment include interest?

You say child custody issues - I'm sorry, but something doesn't add up in your story. Are you saying you filed a false low income to minimise your contribution for raising the child? IRS overrides any PSA and Custody agreement, whoever has the child for most of the year gets the deduction. I'm sorry, but I'm trying to figure out how a child custody agreement would interfere with reporting taxes accurately.

I'm sorry you won't like my answer, but I don't think it's unreasonable for WF to want to know the terms of a superior lien.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 AM

768 posts, read 2,811,433 times
I agree with SmartMoney - underwriter won't just accept your word what the repayment amount is, they need a formal agreement set up with the IRS, and some underwriters will need you to have a history of on time payments per the agreement. Hopefully Wells Fargo will just accept a new payment plan and won't require the payment history.

Sorry you've lost sleep/work over this, buying a home can be stressful, but just remember that don't make any definite plans until the keys are in your hand, and the stress will be a lot less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages