Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 09:39 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,339 times

Advertisements

I called my bank to get a copy of my closing documents since the ones I received at closing 5 years ago were not signed by either party... essentailly blank docs. They don't mean anything really.

The bank told me that they were destroyed and they only have an electronic version in their database. It would cost me $150 to get a copy...

OK, anyone know if any of this is illegal?

First, not providing me with a signed copy of my documents at closing?

Second, destroying the original documents?

Third, charging me to see my own documents and get a copy?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 10:06 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
The title company didn't give you a copy of your signed docs at closing, they are responsible for that. Never leave the closing table without getting your copies.

I believe the bank can charge you for the work of providing them now since it was your responsibility to hold on to the documents the title company [should have] provided to you 5 years ago. You could also try calling the title company where you closed and ask them if they still have your records.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:28 PM

Now I know... we were so naive and unknowledgeable.

I'll try calling the title company... thx

Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,016,839 times
As Debsi said, the title company is required to retain a copy of all loan documents for many years. They will have to pull yours from their archives since they are 5 years old. Be prepared as they will probably charge you a fee as well.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:02 AM

Thank you... I realize I can ask the title company... but on the other side of all of this... can the bank legally destroy the documents and only retain them electronically? Is that legal?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:23 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
Thank you... I realize I can ask the title company... but on the other side of all of this... can the bank legally destroy the documents and only retain them electronically? Is that legal?
Based on reading, no - they can't... It's my understanding that they are legally bound to have a "wet ink" copy clearly showing any transfers (ownership of the note being "sold" or transferred) - all being correctly and legally notarized. The actual note is the legal power needed to enforce a foreclosure and MERS is not a replacement for this process - although the banks want to believe it is. Legislation on this matter was recently tried to be pushed quietly through by the banking lobbies, but Obama sat on it and didn't sign it into law. Think "robosigning" scandal.

It's also my understanding that you have a clear legal right to demand to see the wet ink note from your servicer... How that works out for you in reality is a whole other story. We all know that the banks don't have to follow the same rules we all are forced to - they can make it all up as they go along because they're too big to fail.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:09 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
I called my bank to get a copy of my closing documents since the ones I received at closing 5 years ago were not signed by either party... essentailly blank docs. They don't mean anything really.

The bank told me that they were destroyed and they only have an electronic version in their database. It would cost me $150 to get a copy...

OK, anyone know if any of this is illegal?

First, not providing me with a signed copy of my documents at closing?

Second, destroying the original documents?

Third, charging me to see my own documents and get a copy?

Thanks.
First: The title company gives you the copies, not the bank. Not illegal to give you unsigned ones. I see this a lot when the closer travels (i.e closes a refi in your office, not their's). They bring an extra copy of all the docs to provide the borrower.

Second: The original note goes to Fannnie or Freddie and an original mortgage got recorded at the county. Why do you need originals of anything? The lender can absolutely detstroy the rest and keep electronically.

Third: if you want replacment copies they can certainly charge you. Kind of like if you called your bank right now and requested copies of all your 2009 bank statements that they all ready sent you once. They are going to charge you to re-create them.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 7,605 times
Default Nsa

I am an NSA (Notary Signing Agent) and am the person that would bring the doc's and leave the un-executed copy for the borrowers. Many times the borrower asks me when they are going to get their signed copy. Since I am only there as a witness and do not represent the lender or the title company, per se, I usually only answer with, "unfortunately I'm not sure how that works, that's something you need to address with your L.O."

I have a couple of questions:

1) Are the borrowers entitled to an executed free copy of their doc's (at all-or) within a certain amount of time? Do they have to pay for it? (only asking because of the topic of this thread.) Should they have to, or do they have to request a copy? Or is it supposed to just be forwarded?

2) However, if in fact they cancel at the table and decide not to go through with the signing all together, whose property are the documents?; I think I already know the answer to this. I have heard that by law they have to be returned to the lender. Unsigned documents cannot be left with the borrower. Is this true? Why is it a law if it is?

Thanks so much.
"C"

Old 03-28-2011, 06:22 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
Timtheguy hit this on the head. The borrower can get a copy of the signed documents at closing from the closing agent/title company. But other than the promissory note, I don't think the lender is legally required to keep the originals.

And I don't even think the lender or the title company is required to keep the copies for a certain length of time in most states. I know their E & O insurance carrier likes for them to keep them for 7 years, but I don't know of any legal requirement.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:24 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmihalik View Post
I am an NSA (Notary Signing Agent) and am the person that would bring the doc's and leave the un-executed copy for the borrowers. Many times the borrower asks me when they are going to get their signed copy. Since I am only there as a witness and do not represent the lender or the title company, per se, I usually only answer with, "unfortunately I'm not sure how that works, that's something you need to address with your L.O."
IMO, that is the correct answer. You are just there to witness and any questions should get directed to the closing agent or LO.

The simple solution is for the closing agent to scan and email the signed docs to the borrower once you get them back to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages