U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,333 times

Advertisements

I bought a house then sold it so my son on land contract. We found a better house/location for him. How do I legally go about closing out the land contract without penalty to him so I can resell? I currently still am deed holder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 03:26 PM

768 posts, read 3,961,689 times
What penalties are you concerned with?

If the land contract has been recorded, you may be able to file a reconveyance to remove it from title, and then just have a document you both sign stating the land contract has been cancelled, and refund or not refund any monies paid to you. I don't think it'd be terribly difficult. If you want it to be easy but don't mind spending a couple hundred, then may want to look into a local title or escrow company to help you handle the paperwork.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:06 AM

24 posts, read 78,742 times
Just acquire the necessary documents pertaining to the land contract's cancellation, and provide payment to cash that was previously handed to you.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 333 times
We are currently in a land contract. We want out of the land contract. The lady has lied to us from the beginning and our contract has no exit clause. Can I just give thirty days notice and not be responsible for the remaining balance on the contract. We have paid all prop taxes and even some of her back taxes for fear of losing the house. This has been a shady situation from the get go and I just want to back out and move on. How is this possible if this possible

Old 02-14-2018, 05:21 PM

3,841 posts, read 2,069,187 times
Pack up a copy of your contract, and any other papers and communications you have, and make an appointment with a good local real estate attorney.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:43 AM

6,361 posts, read 7,348,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eblessman View Post
We are currently in a land contract. We want out of the land contract. The lady has lied to us from the beginning and our contract has no exit clause. Can I just give thirty days notice and not be responsible for the remaining balance on the contract. We have paid all prop taxes and even some of her back taxes for fear of losing the house. This has been a shady situation from the get go and I just want to back out and move on. How is this possible if this possible
You bought the house and the land contract defines the terms under which you are obligated to pay for the house. State laws vary so there are no clear-cut answers. Your best option may be to simply talk to her and offer to Quit Claim your interest in the house back to her. No muss, no fuss. Talk with a good real estate attorney to best evaluate your options. Don't just walk away from the contract as there could be serious repercussions for doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages