Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 PM

149 posts, read 552,798 times

Advertisements

More or less a hypothetical question but an interesting one: When someone is seeking a mortgage from a lender, the lender usually requires copies of bank statements for the last 2 or 3 months, and will often ask for an explanation and documentation for any deposit amounts over $100 (for example).

If a person had a sizeable deposit as a gift from a relative, and then spent that money to buy a specific thing (like a car), would the lender have the right to know what the money was spent for and documentation to prove what the money was spent for, or does the lender only have the right to know where the deposit came from (the relative's account)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 10:53 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default The lender can, theoretically, ask anything...

The lender ought to review bank statements to make sure there is no borrowed money entering into the transaction. If if were to turn out that some one else had a prior claim on money that was lent to you and you used that money as the down payment there are couple of problems -- the biggest one is that you do not really have "skin" in the deal and are much more likely to walk away; the second problem is that if the person that supplied you money for the down payment does not produce documentation that it was a gift, with no expectation of repayment, they might try to make an argument they really hold the most senior note on the property and it would make the lender second in line if there was a foreclosure...

If the money was spent the lender really won't care, though if the size of gift was larger than allowed by the IRs there might be tax consequences.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:07 AM

78 posts, read 394,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocate4 View Post
If a person had a sizeable deposit as a gift from a relative, and then spent that money to buy a specific thing (like a car), would the lender have the right to know what the money was spent for and documentation to prove what the money was spent for, or does the lender only have the right to know where the deposit came from (the relative's account)?
It's up to the lender what they choose to ask, but I've never, never had a lender question how I spent my money. They were only concerned about my sources of income and my debts / recurring obligations.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:48 PM

In the case I'm curious about, the money was a loan from a parent -- I've been told that the daughter did write "loan" on the deposit ticket for the funds, but there is no formal agreement of any kind. One of those "pay me back if and when you can" things.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:40 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
The lender can and most likely will inquire on the large deposit. Doesn't reallly matter what the money was spent on. If they have any inkling that it was a loan they will require documentation (i.e. a copy of a note). Otherwise they will require a gift letter.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:00 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,039,906 times
The lender will ask you to source any large deposits in your account, other than your payroll deposits. If you can't come up with a paper trail you will most likely have to write a lender of explanation. Just hope the underwriter buys your explanation(s).

Old 02-09-2011, 09:17 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
The lender only has one right. The right not to loan you the money.

If you want a mortgage, you generally have to jump through the hoops they ask you to jump through.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:47 PM

All right, I have some more info on this. This is my cousin and her husband buying a house from a friend -- they borrowed "X thousand" from my aunt because the friend's house is up for foreclosure (job loss stuff), and they used the money to pay up the friend's mortgage so the house would not foreclose while they (my cousin) are looking for financing. Kind of risky, I think, but apparently the friend is a solid, honest person, so my cousin doesn't expect to lose on the deal. The amount now paid up on the arrears mortgage is being deducted from the price of the house, so my cousin and her hubby will have a somewhat lower mortgage loan.

Took a while for all the paperwork on the above to get done, so cousin now setting out to get financing. They have good credit and all. This loan from my aunt does not technically need to be repaid even though my cousin would prefer to do that.

Are there any pitfalls in this overall situation that would be of concern to a mortgage lender? I guess it might be a fairly common thing, just wondering about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages