Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 07:21 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Not so fast. The money we currently pay for mortgage will end up going towards health insurance ~ something I pay very little for right now in my employment. So . . the logic isn't so difficult, either. :-)
Check your math... You get back a FRACTION of what you pay.

F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 09:05 PM

983 posts, read 2,542,705 times
Theman, how about if you share the formula you used to determine if paying the house is better than not paying it. I am really interested to understand your logic and would like to learn how to save real money not just pennies cutting coupons. thanks

Old 06-02-2011, 10:44 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Theman, how about if you share the formula you used to determine if paying the house is better than not paying it. I am really interested to understand your logic and would like to learn how to save real money not just pennies cutting coupons. thanks
Don't know if your sarcastic or serious

But read the section entitled "a poor trade"

Why You Shouldn’t Keep a Mortgage Just for the Tax Deduction

Old 06-03-2011, 06:16 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Don't know if your sarcastic or serious...But read the section entitled "a poor trade"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoeverCJis
The 2009 standard deduction for married couples will be $11,400.
That means in order to gain any benefit from tax deductions, your interest paid must exceed this number.
Really? Mortgage interest alone must be more than the entirety of the standard for that to make sense?
I didn't go any farther into their thinking once I saw this absurdity as the first premise.
---

On point: there are still all sorts of good reasons to pay off your mortgage...
and separately there are still all sorts of good reasons to do so as soon as you can.
This is just a lousy example of the reasoning.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 AM

983 posts, read 2,542,705 times
Default I am serious, that's why I posted my initial post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Don't know if your sarcastic or serious

But read the section entitled "a poor trade"

Why You Shouldn’t Keep a Mortgage Just for the Tax Deduction
Thank you, I am serious about this and been reading different articles about the dos and donts and wanted to hear from someone who actually did that work.

I used TurboTax to prepare my taxes this year so I went to it and just changed the deductions a little. Here are the approximate figures without going into too much details.

Total deductions with about $7000 in interest - $2500 refund.
Removed the $7000 interest and still was able to do itemized - $1000 refund.

Conclusion: I would have been $5500 richer if I had paid my house last year even thou the value of the house is $10,000 less than what I paid for it 2 years ago.

Again, thanks everyone for adding to this thread, it's a great one.

Last edited by happehart; 06-03-2011 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Adding more info

Old 06-03-2011, 07:18 AM

98 posts, read 239,244 times
I would prefer to donate to a charity of my choice to get the deduction, than "donating" it to the bank to get the same deduction.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muochoir View Post
I would prefer to donate to a charity of my choice to get the deduction, than "donating" it to the bank to get the same deduction.
Surely you must realize that when you make a mortgage payment you are getting more in return then just the deduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages