Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 08:48 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,500 times

Advertisements

Primarily I am asking for those that paid off their houses well before retirement (age 45-55). However, those that paid it off after 55 can post as well.

My main question is how did your quality of life improve after your mortgage was paid off. After having your home paid off did you:

1) Invested on rental properties
2) Stayed put and updated/renovated your house
3) Just simply saved more
4) Traveled more
5) Decided to simplify your life and take on a job with less responsibility but less pay as well
6) Decided to travel part of the year and go back home for other parts of the year
7) Any other

It just seems as if/when the day comes when my house is finally paid off I may experience more of a peace of mind in the financial aspect. I know there are still taxes to be paid, repairs to take care of, and bills to pay. However, I would think it is MUCH less stressful in the event that one loses their job. Also, having more discretionary money sure helps fulfill the urge to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 09:00 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
...I am almost there... !!
Will pay off my house this year. Most renovating done, I guess I will travel even more

Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
With two young children, our lives are very much the same as they were before we became debt-free. We save more, but that's about it.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:23 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
Primarily I am asking for those that paid off their houses well before retirement (age 45-55). However, those that paid it off after 55 can post as well.

My main question is how did your quality of life improve after your mortgage was paid off. After having your home paid off did you:

1) Invested on rental properties
2) Stayed put and updated/renovated your house
3) Just simply saved more
4) Traveled more
5) Decided to simplify your life and take on a job with less responsibility but less pay as well
6) Decided to travel part of the year and go back home for other parts of the year
7) Any other

It just seems as if/when the day comes when my house is finally paid off I may experience more of a peace of mind in the financial aspect. I know there are still taxes to be paid, repairs to take care of, and bills to pay. However, I would think it is MUCH less stressful in the event that one loses their job. Also, having more discretionary money sure helps fulfill the urge to travel.
My situation is similar, but not completely analogous. I sold my house in 2009 at age 53, retired last March shortly after my 54th birthday, and then moved to a less-expensive city. I used the proceeds from the sale of my previous residence to pay cash for my new house, thereby eliminating the need for a mortgage. Because I no longer have a house payment, I have more discretionary money to use for travel.

My wife and I just returned home two weeks ago from a six-week trip to South America, visiting Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, and Peru. Next month we are taking a transatlantic cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Rome, with intermediate stops in Spain, Portugal and Monaco. We'll then spend a week in Rome after the cruise before flying home to Las Vegas. In the fall, we will reverse the process by flying to Rome first, spending a few days in southern Italy, and then boarding a cruise ship for the return trip to Ft. Lauderdale, followed by a few days in Miami. We'll probably plan a trip for sometime this summer as well.

With no mortgage payment, no state income tax, no retirement contributions or Social Security deductions to be paid, our discretionary monthly income is actually higher than it was when we were working. So yes, our quality of life has improved greatly and our stress levels have decreased. My BP is down 15-20 points from 132/97 to 117/78.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:42 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
I have invested in rental properties and have been also paying them off. The purchases have overlapped, ladder-style. I'm near the end of paying the last two off. I also have a 'real job' and have been maxing out the 401K for many years and contributing to a Roth IRA.

I also expect to have a much larger income in retirement...fingers crossed.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:33 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
We did about 6 years ago and yes the quality of life is better without a huge house payment. It has made it possible for us to purchase investment real estate, not rentals, but fixers that we renovate and then sell.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
My goal when we retire is to sell our house and combine that with our inheritance and pay cash for the next house. Since the inheritance was a windfall we didn't expect to get, it was never included in our retirement planning....

Old 03-11-2011, 04:58 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Mine will be paid off in about 2 years (I'll be 55) and I own a small rental house as well.
It won't make a huge difference in my quality of life though...depending on the economy/housing market, I will probably purchase another rental property.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:01 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
I paid off my mortgage last October, seven years into a fifteen year mortgage. I am 48, so I have some time before retirement.

I'll answer the rest of the questions later. No time now.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:12 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
I'm 51 and DH is 57. Timing was perfect in paying off our mortgage, because I was laid off soon after. There was no pressure for me to find another higher paying job (there are none to be had), go back to school, or commute long distances. I was able to take a low stress part time job close to home. I've never been happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages