U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 AM

123 posts, read 339,921 times

Advertisements

When searching for mortage, what does it mean "Fee in APR"? It looks like different banks charges different rate and some no charge at all. Please explain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 05:46 PM

4,153 posts, read 5,999,320 times
You have interest rate and APR. They put their fees in the APR. So when you get a GFE look at the APR. The interest rate is just a smoke screen to say "hey look how low our rates are". If you pay less closing costs more than likely the APR will be higher. If you pay a lot in closing fees the APR will be lower. It comes down to if you want to pay more upfront or finance it over 15 or 30 years and pay 5x what you would have if you paid it upfront.

When you get a GFE look at the APR since it's what your note is based on. I'm going to take a stab and say if shouldn't be over 1/2% more than the interest rate is. If it is get another GFE from another place.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:12 AM

4,032 posts, read 8,732,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
You have interest rate and APR. They put their fees in the APR. So when you get a GFE look at the APR. The interest rate is just a smoke screen to say "hey look how low our rates are". If you pay less closing costs more than likely the APR will be higher. If you pay a lot in closing fees the APR will be lower. It comes down to if you want to pay more upfront or finance it over 15 or 30 years and pay 5x what you would have if you paid it upfront.

When you get a GFE look at the APR since it's what your note is based on. I'm going to take a stab and say if shouldn't be over 1/2% more than the interest rate is. If it is get another GFE from another place.

Sorry, but that is far from correct. APR allows the consumer to compare one lender to another. That's all it's designed for. There's no such thing as a measurement of where the APR should be in relation to the interest rate. If lender A has 4% and 3 points and lender B has 4.5% with 0 points, which is the better deal? The one with the lowest APR. However, financing is not one size fits all. The transaction could have an employer paying relo and a seller paying closing costs. In this case, the higher APR makes sense.

Also included in the APR calculation are courthouse recording fees, points, mortgage insurance, both monthly and upfront. If you ever have someone touting Lender Paid MI, this is one time you REALLY want to get an APR.

I've uploaded something to help you with your Truth In Lending. We can't upload pdf files anymore, so I'm hoping this is legible by putting it in a jpeg.
Attached Thumbnails
Fees in APR-til-explanation.jpg  

Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 AM

1 posts, read 22,474 times
Default Buying a home in ca- help!

I'm trying to buy a house in Ventura co. Ca. Does anyone know the exact tax petecentage for that counting when it comes to buying a home . In trying to buy a condo around 300,000 with 10 percent down . And want to know if I will be able to stay afloat after taxes! Thanks

Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM

2,357 posts, read 3,190,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauracm View Post
I'm trying to buy a house in Ventura co. Ca. Does anyone know the exact tax petecentage for that counting when it comes to buying a home . In trying to buy a condo around 300,000 with 10 percent down . And want to know if I will be able to stay afloat after taxes! Thanks
Look it up, specific to a prospective address:
  • County Tax Assessor's Website
  • Taxes are listed in about 65% of the listings on Realtor.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages