Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 09:23 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times

Advertisements

First off, we live in Florida it is a separate property state.

I work, she stays at home and does not bring in an income. We are married? She also has a collection on her credit which we are trying to get taken care of. When we file taxes, we file jointly.

My credit and employment are good.

Would there be any issues with me applying for the loan myself? Worried about her credit resulting in being rejected from a loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
You can apply for and get a loan on your own. The way you file your taxes has no bearing on your loan application. Especially since your spouse has no income.

However, I always caution the "one name on loan, two names on title" strategy. While I have had clients do this in the past, I caution them against it. Best to go with one name on loan, one name on title.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:26 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
Do note that it varies from state to state. A few states still require the spouse to sign the mortgage even if they are not on title, in order to pledge their marital interest.

But if you qualify, you don't have to put her on the deed no matter what state you are in.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:38 PM

145 posts, read 625,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
But if you qualify, you don't have to put her on the deed no matter what state you are in.
To be clear, in a community property state, you may not have to put the spouse on the title, but you cannot sell or otherwise transfer the property without the spouse's consent. Also, the house is a community marital asset, that will be split 50/50 in the event of a divorce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages