U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2007, 02:32 PM

83 posts, read 260,224 times

Advertisements

I would like to buy a small vacation home in North Dakota, the price is under 15,000. Is there a bank or mortgage company that would give me such a small loan? I am employed by the County Of Los Angeles and my husband is a retired postal worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 02:40 PM

510 posts, read 2,305,720 times
Most retail lenders or mortgage brokerages unfortunately will not be interested in this type of loan, simply because they will not make any money on it.

You will have the best luck purchasing this home in one of two ways. First you can go with the secured mortgage loan route, or try a secured personal loan. The second way would be an unsecured loan.

This is all dependant on your credit of course. You will definitely have the most luck with banks, and I would recommend starting with your own personal bank. I would ask for a general loan officer, and talk to them about what they feel is best. I'm guessing a secured personal loan may be what they choose, because of the significantly low loan amount for a home. They however may be forced to go the mortgage route, at which point you may need a 5% downpayment. Most banks won't lend 100% on a 2nd home, but they will definitely lend more on a 2nd home than an investment home.

If you can not find a lender to do this loan, you can also consider doing a fixed rate 2nd mortgage, or a Home Equity line of credit on your current home. If possible, do the fixed rate 2nd as the rate will be lower, and you already know how much you need and plan to spend.

However, if you're doing a mortgage, a HELOC (home equity line of credit) may not be a bad idea for this reason. You may be able to get a much larger credit line than the $15,000 you need. The benefit to this is that you have access to money, just in case you need it. You only pay on what you borrow. As long as you're not an addicted home shopping network person, this can be a very beneficial safety valve to have.

The main differences between a fixed rate 2nd and a HELOC are as follows. A fixed rate 2nd almost always has a lower rate, and the interest rate will not adjust. A HELOC tends to have a higher rate, and your interest rate can adjust monthly (based on the prime index, currently at 8.25%). You can only get your initial draw on a fixed rate 2nd, and you would need to refinance it to get more money in the future. A HELOC you can draw and repay as many times as you want, up to your max credit limit of the line throughout the "draw" period. This is typically either 5 or 10 years.

Hope this helps... please mention any other questions should you have them.

(btw, you do know how cold it is in the Winter in ND right? I grew up in Montana, so I'm familiar with the harsh winters )

Good luck!

Old 07-27-2007, 02:46 PM

83 posts, read 260,224 times
I'm from North Dakota, I know it can be 40 below in the winter and 110 in the summer. But it is in a small town close to my 89 year old mother. Wish me luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages