Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 03:07 PM

732 posts, read 2,980,066 times

Advertisements

Our current servicer (rhymes with "base") called today offering to do what must be a manual Refi+ (no appraisal, just voice verification of income). Here's what we were offered:

5.375% (our current rate is 5.875%), 30-year fixed (we have a little less than 27 years left), credit against closing pretty much wipes out all closing costs (our credit scores were both over 775) with an estimated LTV < 105%. New loan amount of about $250K.

The monthly P&I reduction is about $150; the GFE says PMI will drop by $40 a month also, but I have no idea whether that's realistic.

It's a low-rise condo and we currently have PMI (original LTV was 89%).

So, should I bother trying to get any competing quotes, or is the condo + PMI going to make it difficult to get any other originator to bite? This is in Chicago, BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 01:31 AM

768 posts, read 4,339,635 times
You said there was a credit that "pretty much wipes out all closing costs", so what costs are remaining that isn't covered by the credit?

Old 04-18-2011, 06:21 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,896,900 times
Quote:
So, should I bother trying to get any competing quotes, or is the condo + PMI going to make it difficult to get any other originator to bite? This is in Chicago, BTW.
The short answer is not really. The reason is simple, but excuse my bluntness. No bank wants another bank's (potential) problem, if a manual underwrite is required. Your loan, just with the high LTV is a high risk loan. Add to the fact it's a condo, which further restricts what kind of financing would be eligible in that project. Homeowners of all scores are walking away from under water property. Your bank has a financial incentive (thanks to Stim I or Stim II or other bank bailout) to refinance your loan, or they would not be making the offer.

You are fortunate to have the offer on the table - it's a take it or don't do it kind of proposition.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 AM

732 posts, read 2,980,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
The short answer is not really. The reason is simple, but excuse my bluntness. No bank wants another bank's (potential) problem, if a manual underwrite is required. Your loan, just with the high LTV is a high risk loan. Add to the fact it's a condo, which further restricts what kind of financing would be eligible in that project. Homeowners of all scores are walking away from under water property. Your bank has a financial incentive (thanks to Stim I or Stim II or other bank bailout) to refinance your loan, or they would not be making the offer.

You are fortunate to have the offer on the table - it's a take it or don't do it kind of proposition.
That's what I figured. If there wasn't some sort of government subsidy involved, the bank could care less as long as I pay on time. I imagine in exchange for lowering my rate the bank basically gets the foregone interest up front in incentives.

I am certainly not looking a gift horse in the mouth here; I just wanted a sanity check. Thanks for the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages