Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think "cash back at closing" is illegal?
Cash back at closing is (or should be illegal) at all times 18 32.14%
It's a slippery slope that is doing real damage to the real estate market 9 16.07%
If not illegal, it is at least unethical 4 7.14%
Fine to do. Where do I sign? 25 44.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:29 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times

Advertisements

Do you think cash back at closing is illegal? A slippery slope that is overinflating housing values? Even if legal, unethical? Or find to do and it has no bearing on the true real estate market?

The opinions seem to vary all over the internet, and even seem to vary state-to-state, realtor-to-realtor, lawyer-to-lawyer.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 05:37 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,211 times
Cash back at closing is one indication that it could be mortgage fraud. There has been a big crack down in the last year or so on unscrupulous mortgage practices, and we've been warned to be on the lookout.

No need to worry about reputable lenders. Unfortunately reputable mortgage brokers have really been hurt by some of their unethical colleagues' practices.

If you are involved in a transaction where you suspect mortgage fraud, most states have some sort of "hotline" that you can call to report it.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:50 PM

510 posts, read 3,201,133 times
When you say cash back at closing... do you mean a seller concession to closing costs? Or do you mean the buyer actually gets cash in their pocket? A buyer getting cash in their pocket from a sale is completely illegal.

The concession to closing costs can be very beneficial, as it often is what helps someone get their foot in the door. Granted, they pay for it in the long run because they've essentially financed closing costs, but many people need it.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:02 PM

178 posts, read 1,227,462 times
"Cash back at closing is one indication that it could be mortgage fraud."
"A buyer getting cash in their pocket from a sale is completely illegal."

From the post it isn't clear if the question deals with monies distributed from a realtor to a buyer or from a mortgage originator to a buyer. If the former, it is apparently legal to do so as it is becoming a common practice in North Carolina.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseJeff View Post
When you say cash back at closing... do you mean a seller concession to closing costs? Or do you mean the buyer actually gets cash in their pocket? A buyer getting cash in their pocket from a sale is completely illegal.

The concession to closing costs can be very beneficial, as it often is what helps someone get their foot in the door. Granted, they pay for it in the long run because they've essentially financed closing costs, but many people need it.
Sorry, I should have clarified. Any money that comes from the seller, in the form of contributions toward closing costs, a check at closing for "repairs", etc..

I'm not talking about the criminal rings that go around making $300K offers on $200K homes looking to cash out the other $100K.

For instance, a home is listed for $200,000, a buyer makes a full price offer and wants $30,000 back at closing for closing costs because they can't qualify for the loan otherwise.

Rebates from realtors back to buyers or sellers is apparently illegal in some states, but not most states. The FTC has ruled on the side of realtors and the "free market competition for fees".

Last edited by magellan; 07-30-2007 at 06:25 PM..

Old 07-30-2007, 06:12 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
The question is badly phrased. There are any number of situations in which a buyer may end up receiving cash from a transaction.

It is difficult to phrase. "Can a buyer mortgage a property for more than it is worth?" Why not? Nothing illegal there. I know well an accountant who does it all the time. Makes a lot of money at it.

Nahh..it does not work. There really is no way to describe mortgage fraud in such terms. It is the "fraud" that has to be there before it is illegal or unethical or immoral.

Taking advantage of stupidity is not feloneous.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times
Quote:
Any money that comes from the seller, in the form of contributions toward closing costs, a check at closing for "repairs", etc..
It's common place in the Seattle area to pay some closing costs to the buyer. We've done it when we sold. We've had it done for us when we bought. NOTHING illegal about that. Granted, it's only a few thousand, and of course, the house has to appraise for that much.

We have also had cash given to us at closing for repairs, which is NOT illegal - but I would not recommend it. Always just have the seller fix it, at their cost and before closing and use your inspection clause to enforce it.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:45 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,211 times
Credits and/or cash to seller at closing for costs incurred in the transaction, i.e. seller contribution of closing costs, seller concession for repairs, agent credit to the buyer of some portion of the commission to be used towards closing costs, etc are perfectly legal.

What would be mortgage fraud, though, is where a buyer and loan officer and sometimes an appraiser conspire to inflate the value of the home so that the buyer walks away with cash in pocket on a 100% loan. Something's fishy in that case.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:43 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,651 times
I agree....I thought 'cash back at closing' meant that an agent gives money back at closing. The reason I thought that is because I know it happens. I know of agents who share their commissions with their buyers, and I think they hurt the industry. I also know there are some lenders who give thousands of dollars back to clients at settlement. I have found that the buyers agent and lender are usually in cahoots and there is a buyer who is not from this country involved. In my experience, the buyer doesn't usually know there's fraud involved. By asking pointed questions, the buyers agent and loan officer will either come clean and do things on the up and up or find another listing agent to present their offer to who won't be so inquisitive.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Credits and/or cash to seller at closing for costs incurred in the transaction, i.e. seller contribution of closing costs, seller concession for repairs, agent credit to the buyer of some portion of the commission to be used towards closing costs, etc are perfectly legal.

What would be mortgage fraud, though, is where a buyer and loan officer and sometimes an appraiser conspire to inflate the value of the home so that the buyer walks away with cash in pocket on a 100% loan. Something's fishy in that case.
From how I understand it, it's perfectly legal as long as: - Everything is disclosed on the HUD statement - the house appraises for at least the sale price or higher - the concessions are taken off of the "net sale price" of the home on the HUD statement

But the more people I talk to about this, the more confusion there seems to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages