Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2011, 08:39 AM

5 posts, read 17,784 times

Advertisements

HI,
Could someone please help me out on this?

I've signed a contract on a place at the beach and need some advice on the loan. I want to go conventional to avoid paying PMI and without escrow will be required to have around fifty thousand at closing. I have the funds but would prefer using about twenty thousand and an equity line for the rest. I intend to pay off the equity line off within a few years. The equity line would be on my primary residence which is paid for. I'm self employed and the interest on the loans would be a write off. Could someone please inform me if this would be logical or am I way off base? Also, my credit score is 798 and I've already been pre-approved by BB&T but other recommendations are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:01 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,447,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrialfloors View Post
...but would prefer using about twenty thousand and an equity line for the rest.
A HELOC you already have in place and can draw from?
Or starting from scratch?

Quote:
I intend to pay off the equity line off within a few years.
Noble intentions. good for you!

Quote:
Could someone please inform me if this would be logical or am I way off base?
Eminently logical... and even rather common until a few years ago.
The hiccup today is the appraisal and credit approval process.
Which is not as easily accomplished as it was a few years ago.

I'm waiting to see the mortgage brokers start clamoring for the chance to write up your loan.
Good luck with it.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:26 AM

MrRational thanks for your response.

I don't have an existing equity line in place so I would need to start from scratch.

Although I have additional funds, with the economy in its current state I will sleep better at night with the added money in the bank as a safety net in the off chance business slows for me. I would be willing to pay the additional cost of an appraisal if that is required but could you elaborate on the hiccup you refer to with the appraisal process? My primary residence is worth about 106,000 and I’m looking to borrow 30,000 on it.

As a side note, it wasn’t my intent to post here to shop for a broker just looking for suggestions and others input. I’m not as knowledgeable in loans as most on this forum so I do appreciate your help.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:36 AM

502 posts, read 1,649,728 times
A client of mine did something similar a few months ago without an issue. However, if I recall correctly, they did a cash-out refi on their existing home instead of an equity line.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:40 AM

768 posts, read 4,329,292 times
If your debt ratio can qualify for the equity line along with the mortgage payment, and the lender knows what the funds will be used for, then it'll be fine. However a lot of home equity lenders do not like their loan to be used to help acquire new real estate, so it's something you'll have to ask.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:45 PM

HomeHuntress would I qualify for a cash out refi even though my primary residence is already paid for? This was why I thought equity loan. Would there be an advantage to a refi over equity?

Shanethemortgageman I don't believe the debt to income will be a problem because the bank has already told me I would qualify for more than the asking price but that was with one mortgage. If I do two separate loans do the guidelines for debt to income change? Also, would the bank be more likely to allow an equity loan to purchase another property or would I have a better chance working with a broker?

Thanks again for the insight.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:12 PM

768 posts, read 4,329,292 times
The debt ratio guidelines are same whether you just take out 1 mortgage on the new home or also take out a home equity line of credit on your current home. Each financial institution will have a different outlook on what the cash out funds can be used for. Mortgage brokers don't really deal with home equity loans or lines of credit anymore, they are primarily a bank offered loan program.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,776 times
It's a great way to purchase additional properties. Another consideration is that you are able to afford the equity line in addition to the mortgage you currently hold on your first property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages