U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old 05-17-2011, 02:34 PM
2 posts, read 32,535 times
Reputation: 13


Ive been divorced 1 year, separated 4. Purchased home with husband 6 yrs ago. Did not do marriage settlement nor mention home on decree, but I now want his name removed from deed/mortgage due to vindictive behavior. Found out I'm seeing someone so he completely refused to sign off so he can be certain no other person comes into the home that he "once lived in", and it will entitle him legal access to house whenever he "feels like it". I was advised by a real estate agent to have him sign a quit claim deed, send it to mortgage company & have new deed drawn up. I am employed, he is not, so he has agreed to do so only if I forfeit pursuing child support (which I never have). It was my last option and hope to get his name off!!! Anyone have advice whether this is correct direction or if anything further is needed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 02:38 PM
3,029 posts, read 7,192,218 times
Reputation: 3209
Get a lawyer for this one. What you want to do is much easier said than done. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Location: Oxnard, CA
1,552 posts, read 3,688,504 times
Reputation: 1254
You need to see an attorney or somehow do a marriage settlement. When I divorced, we clearly had it in our judgment who gets what and what to do with the houses.

This won't be easy and I doubt he can just come over there when he feels like it. I suggest you change the locks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Reputation: 32182
you probably have to somehow or other reopen the divorce proceeding as it is a marital asset...
but if so, then at least this time you can do all that properly along with the child support squabble too.

this time have an actual lawyer represent you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 07:53 PM
2,060 posts, read 5,066,263 times
Reputation: 1654
I can't imagine any written agreement to not pursue child support other than him relinquishing parental rights would hold up in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 01:13 AM
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
15,735 posts, read 26,776,109 times
Reputation: 20371
Is he employable or just ducking getting a job because he doesn't have to pay you child support with a job. Is it possible that you would make more than him anyway if he was working? In California it is the person that makes the most that pays the most. Then again it also depends on how much time each parent spends with the kids. If you haven't recieved any child support as of yet is their a chance that you ever will get child support? Maybe that is not even an issue for you. If that is the case then giveup the support and get the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 01:34 AM
553 posts, read 900,195 times
Reputation: 289
Is the mortgage signed by both of you? I mean mortgage papers, not the deed?
I am only guessing, but here is what I will try to do:
If he is not paying mortgage, and you are paying it all alone after the divorce, my guess is you can require him for paying his part of the mortgage. You can ask the mortgage company to split the bill and give you a notice if the bill was not paid. You can pay it yourself then, but you will have the record of his not paying the mortgage which he is legally obliged to do, if he is also a borrower. because technically you are not responsible for paying his bills anymore. If he refuses, then you can take him to court and with a claim that his name should be removed from the deed, because the deed was contingent on you both paying mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Location: southwest TN
8,225 posts, read 14,934,660 times
Reputation: 14983
You are discussing a legal matter (children, support, divorce) with a real estate agent. Do you discuss your real estate issues with your doctor? Good grief! No wonder you are in a fix.

First, if you are divorced, regardless whose name is on the deed to the property, someone who does not live there cannot just come onto the property at will. Even if you were a rentor, the LL could not just come over on a whim. You really need to discuss this with your divorce attorney. If you did not have one, and there are children involved, then you are incredibly foolish. But I guess taking legal advice on a divorce matter from a non-attorney shows that inclination.

I am not an attorney and I would not presume to offer you legal advice. I have provided you with information - GET AN ATTORNEY!

Contact your state/county Bar Association Lawyer Referral Program for a low-cost initial consultation.

Good luck.

BTW, I think realtors are often good people. I in no way intended to besmirch the profession when I chastised OP for consulting a realtor on a legal matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 02:28 PM
2 posts, read 32,535 times
Reputation: 13
OK - maybe I need to clarify. First of all, we bought the home together. Secondly, I don't need his child support and he's ducking it, so I bartered just to get his signature on the quit claim deed. He only has my word that I will not pursue him while unemployed, so I think it's a great deal. I just want him off of the deed - he is not on the loan but I can't refinance until he signs off on deed. My inquiry was whether the quit claim will do the job, but it looks like I need to get back in touch with my attorney as he prepared the divorce only; no settlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Location: Coachella Valley, California
15,564 posts, read 36,562,009 times
Reputation: 13180
You need your attorney. First of all, it is against public policy to contract away child support. Such an agreement or contract will be unenforceable. Secondly, if he will not sign over his interest in the property to you - after the court has awarded the property to you - you will need to institute an action to quiet title. In the event he is ordered to execute a deed to you and fails to do so, the court will have the authority to order/issue a new deed with only you as grantee and have it recorded without his signature. The court order will act in lieu of his signature. You will need to have your attorney advise you as how best to proceed, as he will have all of the relevant facts/documents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top