Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:34 AM

352 posts, read 518,290 times

Advertisements

ok..I'm locked in with KB Countrywide and am closing on Sept. 25th....I'm really starting to worry about Countrywide now...is it too late to move to a dift. mortgage company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 11:52 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,583,001 times
It's never too late to move to another lender, but why did you lock in so early?

Most lenders can close in 20days so you have plenty of time.

PM me if you need any help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount79 View Post
ok..I'm locked in with KB Countrywide and am closing on Sept. 25th....I'm really starting to worry about Countrywide now...is it too late to move to a dift. mortgage company?

Old 08-20-2007, 11:59 AM

I spoke to my CW rep, she has informed me that CW isnt going 'under'.

You might want to stay on top of your file due to the layoffs that are about to happen.
She said to make sure you call CW directly to insure your file is being handled.
Due to the layoffs, your file may fall through the cracks.

So stay on top of it!

Old 08-20-2007, 12:19 PM

182 posts, read 824,762 times
Default Question

Banker, maybe you can answer this because I'm with Countrywide as well but don't anticapate closing until November (new build, KBHomes)
Isn't the concern mainly with Jumbo loans or anything over $417,000?
That is the impression I was getting from all that's going on.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:26 PM

nope. Everyone is concerned that CW will be filing bankruptcy soon.
If they do then it will be a REALLY gloomy day.

They just took out a loan of a few billion dollars just to cover fundings.

All I know is when the CEO, and other Execs are dumping their stock options....then it's time to think of another company.
A lot of are speculating that CW will turn into Enron.

The CEO has dumped more than half of his stock options!

I broker loans to CW, but i pray they dont go under.
They are the largest lender in the US.

This is one of the reasons why i went working from a direct lender to a broker.
I work with over 440 lenders, and if one of them goes out of business then I'll go with another one.

Countrywide Financial Corp. Notes
it's kind of long but it compares CW to Enron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contreras-21 View Post
Banker, maybe you can answer this because I'm with Countrywide as well but don't anticapate closing until November (new build, KBHomes)
Isn't the concern mainly with Jumbo loans or anything over $417,000?
That is the impression I was getting from all that's going on.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:34 PM

255 posts, read 885,145 times
Countrywide's products are absolutely horrible..

I went with Bank of America vs Countrywide on my KB Home purchase. It was a MUCH better mortgage package. Just an FYI.

Yeah the only thing CW would really offer me is a 80/20/5 and the apr on the 20 was horrific...I did a 30 year fixed on 95% with BoA @ 6.75. CW could not even touch it..

Oh and you are not "locked" in to do anything until you close. And being Sept 25th is your "tenative close date" with the builder, that's plenty of time to shop around another mortgage vendor. BoA needs about 2-4 weeks (4 tops).

You might forfeit any "incentive" if you chose not to use CW but when you really sit down and run the numbers, those incentives are nothing but scams..they are "ammended" in higher interest rates.

Remember nothing is free.

Last edited by BigCountry; 08-20-2007 at 12:43 PM..

Old 08-20-2007, 12:41 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,420,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post

I
Oh and you are not "locked" in to do anything until you close. And being Sept 25th is your "tenative close date" with the builder, that's plenty of time to shop around another mortgage. BoA needs about 2-3 weeks tops.
Yep. That's correct. My loan was sold to CW (actually the servicing of it was) and I don't have any issues yet.

This site is interesting: The Mortgage Lender Implode-O-Meter - tracking the housing finance breakdown, related to Alt-A and subprime mortgages, lending fraud, predatory lending, housing bubble, mortgage banking, foreclosures, debt, consolidation, lawyers, class-action lawsui

Old 08-20-2007, 12:45 PM

BofA requires 25-30 days to close purchase deals.

When i worked there we were not allowed to mentioned anything less than 30days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post

I went with Bank of America vs Countrywide on my KB Home purchase. It was a MUCH better mortgage package. Just an FYI.

Yeah the only thing CW would really offer me is a 80/20/5 and the apr on the 20 was horrific...I did a 30 year fixed on 95% with BoA @ 6.75. CW could not even touch it..

Oh and you are not "locked" in to do anything until you close. And being Sept 25th is your "tenative close date" with the builder, that's plenty of time to shop around another mortgage vendor. BoA needs about 2-4 weeks (4 tops).

You might forfeit any "incentive" if you chose not to use CW but when you really sit down and run the numbers, those incentives are nothing but scams..they are "ammended" in higher interest rates.

Remember nothing is free.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:48 PM

255 posts, read 885,145 times
Yeah. The did mine in 2 weeks but it was close! I would say 3-4 weeks to be completely safe.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:48 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,120 times
The servicing of my loan was sold to Countrywide, so far no problems.....

Before that was American Home Mortgage and they went belly up.

If Countrywide go as well, I think it will take years for the industry to recover.

Banker would you agree with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages