Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:19 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I remember someone on here a while ago saying that there are actually two options: a modification and a re-fi. The refi works, but the modification thing has basically been a joke. I haven't looked into it any further, though.
Correct, I am referring to the refinance option not the modification. I never expected the modification program to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
That's the issue. The majority of people who did conventional loans put 10-20% down and are able to refinance. But those who did jumbo loans in high cost areas can't refinance either since those loans weren't owned by Fannie even with 20-40% downpayment since they still fell into jumbo territories.

However during the boom many people did not. Many did 80/20 no down loans or 90/10% and the vast majority of these aren't owned by Fannie either.
The Fannie/Freddie "jumbo" conforming for high price areas qualifies for the 'Obama refi'. If you are over that (i.e. $800k loan), you shouldn't need any assistance imo.

80/20 and 90/10 where the 1st mortgage was under the conforming limit were done as Fannie Freddie loans and are eligible.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,018,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
I've actually closed a bunch of 'Obama refi's' as I call them. Has worked pretty well for a gov't program in my opinion.
You think it worked pretty well? I closed quite a few loans with this program, but according to most people it hasnt lived it to the hype. Supposed to help 5 million homeowners, but to date only 800,000 or so people have qualified.

HARP Roadblocks: Why So Few Homeowners Have Been Helped | Zillow Blog - Real Estate Market Stats, Celebrity Real Estate, and Zillow News

Like most govt programs...they sound good, look good but in reality they dont work well.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
You think it worked pretty well? I closed quite a few loans with this program, but according to most people it hasnt lived it to the hype. Supposed to help 5 million homeowners, but to date only 800,000 or so people have qualified.

HARP Roadblocks: Why So Few Homeowners Have Been Helped | Zillow Blog - Real Estate Market Stats, Celebrity Real Estate, and Zillow News

Like most govt programs...they sound good, look good but in reality they dont work well.
Of course the lying scum bag politicians will embellish the numbers.

However, I have yet to have a second mortgage holder refuse to subordinate.

While I can't do them if they currently have mortgage insurance, it is my understanding that the PMI factor cannot change on the refinance, so this is another misnomer in the linked story.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
I qualify and fit the exact profile of what the program is intended to cover. I am at 140% LTV, have a Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac loan since 2006..Been paying my loan at almost 6% interest for the past 5+ years. I cant wait to knock it down to a lower interest rate.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:34 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I qualify and fit the exact profile of what the program is intended to cover. I am at 140% LTV, have a Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac loan since 2006..Been paying my loan at almost 6% interest for the past 5+ years. I cant wait to knock it down to a lower interest rate.
yeah I am still concerned that if you are paying PMI your loan doesn't qualify

Old 11-17-2011, 09:54 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jms493 View Post
yeah I am still concerned that if you are paying PMI your loan doesn't qualify
Where does it say this? I already have been in touch with my loan servicer - they say from the guidelines put out so far, I qualify. Can you state your source?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Where does it say this? I already have been in touch with my loan servicer - they say from the guidelines put out so far, I qualify. Can you state your source?
You can have PMI and qualify. You just have to work with your current servicer as it sounds like you are doing.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:31 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,148 times
Quote:
I am contacting Citibank today to see whats up. I think if you refi with the same lender you may be ok but if you refi with another lender then you may hit a road block.

Fox Business - Latest News - Revised HARP Could let More Owners Refinance

check the qualifications portion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages