U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 12:06 PM

20 posts, read 57,839 times

Advertisements

How hard is this going to be and is it worth it? My DH filed for BK 2 years ago. (unfortunately lost employment) I was not included. We have never been late or defaulted on our mortgage which we've had 7 years. We've had 2 other mortgages before this one and always paid on time. After BK, everything is current and no negative reports on credit report since.

My DH is the only one showing self employment income. I'm currently unemployed. Don't know how this will effect things.

Our current rate is 5.8% and we'd like to hopefully get a lower rate. Is the BK going to have a big impact on getting a good rate? Or, are they looking at the past 2 years with excellent credit and paying all bills on time? I know the BK lowers my DH's credit score but mine is over 800. (not sure what his is now) I'd like to apply for the mortgage myself but it's my DH's income. What is our best option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 12:09 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,269,444 times
I'd say your chances of a refinance are slim. A bankruptcy (it's OK to spell it here) and you being unemployed... As a lender I would not touch it. What the heck does DH mean?

Old 12-31-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I'd say your chances of a refinance are slim. A bankruptcy (it's OK to spell it here) and you being unemployed... As a lender I would not touch it. What the heck does DH mean?

DH=husband

Old 12-31-2011, 04:32 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,269,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogloverof2 View Post
DH=husband
Thank you.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:45 PM

I guess there is no chance? We've had spotless credit for 19 years before the BK and now have had spotless credit for 2 years after. It was just a bad time just like others had during the economy doing so poorly. We are not bad people and we do pay all of our bills on time.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:57 PM

7,083 posts, read 16,919,944 times
You can get a regular mortgage with a BK that is 2 years ago, so a refi would also be possible. Where the problem is is that it doesn't matter what your credit score is because you have no income. If your DH is self employed, unless he's showing some good income, as they'll verify with tax returns, you're not going to have the income to qualify. Self-Employed No-Doc loans are starting to make a come back, but you need to have near perfect credit for a lender to risk it.

Just because the BK was 2 years ago doesn't mean his credit scores are bad. They might be decent. You need to have a mortgage person look at your situation directly.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 AM

7,604 posts, read 17,652,971 times
Did I miss what kind of loan you have? How about the equity in the property? These answers will dictate the length of your wait to refinance.

What kind of work is your DH doing now? Is he still self employed? How many tax returns have been filed since the BK? These answers will dictate if he is qualified for a new mortgage.

Also of particular importance, find out the date of discharge on the BK. Go find the paperwork where the mortgage was reaffirmed, the paperwork that excluded the home from the BK. (should be in your petition - about a 30+ page document). The discharge is a single piece of paper sent in the mail after the BK closed out.......that is the most important piece of paper in your world right now. Keep everything together and don't lose it!

Old 01-04-2012, 10:46 AM

1,676 posts, read 6,338,286 times
If your current mortgage is a FHA loan, you can look into a streamline refinance. On a streamline, they do not take into consideration your income.. Just a minimum score of 640 and must be employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages