Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:50 AM

24 posts, read 82,137 times

Advertisements

I need some advice, we closed on our home in August, we signed a Homeowner/Contractor Agreement then 8 days the contractor presents another contract to my husband only and it said he will only do half of the work for 100% of the money and that we are supposed to do the other half out of pocket and not complain, According to the Homeowner/Contractor Agreement that we signed it says that Homeowners are NOT allowed to do any of the work on the work write up without the approval of the mortgage company and we were never approved? According to our mortgage company the work on the work write up has to be done. None on the interior work has been touched, the work is far from completed and we have only 6 months to complete the work, but on January 22 the Consultant and Contractor wanted me to sign the closing documents saying all the work is done? I refused to do so and sent all the supporting documents to HUD to see if there is any fraud going on, I am getting 2 calls a day from the consultant asking me when a good time would be for him to come by for me to sign the closing paperwork, also told me that I have until February 27th to clear this up or we will be in default on our loan. What am I missing? I need some advice!

Last edited by cityofcanton; 02-20-2014 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: added more information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofcanton View Post
I need some advice!
Get an attorney - you should have had one already.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:01 AM

804 posts, read 2,004,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Get an attorney - you should have had one already.
This. Please have an attorney review the documents and events thusfar that have transpired. This is not an area that you want to navigate without legal direction.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:31 AM

What kind of attorney do I seek?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:35 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
you seek the attorney who closed this purchase for you, and you seek the help of your real estate agent.

if your real estate agent recommended this particular contractor - or inferred you MUST use this contractor - or the real estate attorney did the same, then let us know and your course of action will likely change.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:40 AM

My realtor recommended the lender, My lender recommended the consultant, and the lender recommended the contractor, the contractor my lender recommended never showed up so the consultant recommended his friend.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:44 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
who was your closing attorney. that is where you start.

and you should simply tell the lender - the actual real-live local person who helped you - that the consultant they recommended wound up bringing in this contractor. Who apparently is causing big issues.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:54 AM

I hate to say it, but the lender sent me this nasty email threatening me... (I think he is in on it too)
That’s very odd, I’m confused. The consultant signed off, your husband signed off and the builder signed off…I figured you weren’t around to sign off. Now you’re telling me you’re not allowed to sign off…Hmmm??? So that only tells me You are intentionally not signing off.
My only guess is --- and you may have bit off more than you could finish on your own, and somehow that’s the GC’s fault? Please excuse me but that doesn’t sound like you are holding up to what was agreed to…how unfortunate.
I will let our Renovation department know that YOU seem to have a problem and will not sign the form…You’re the first! Congratulations! ---- ------- has done a lot of renovation loans for MM with never a problem.
Have a wonderful evening…I will pray for you and Tim and that will do the right thing…maybe his dad can offer you both some guidance too.
Sincerely,
-----

Old 02-20-2014, 08:58 AM

We bought the house while I lived in Georgia with our 4 kids, I did not move here until December 21,2013. I assumed that when me and the kids arrived the inside of our house would be finished, and when I got here nothing was done. I had no idea there was another contract.
When I questions the consultant and contractor about the work they verbally abused me and told me we had no more money to do the work.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofcanton View Post
I hate to say it, but the lender sent me this nasty email threatening me... (I think he is in on it too)
That’s very odd, I’m confused. The consultant signed off, your husband signed off and the builder signed off…I figured you weren’t around to sign off. Now you’re telling me you’re not allowed to sign off…Hmmm??? So that only tells me You are intentionally not signing off.
My only guess is --- and you may have bit off more than you could finish on your own, and somehow that’s the GC’s fault? Please excuse me but that doesn’t sound like you are holding up to what was agreed to…how unfortunate.
I will let our Renovation department know that YOU seem to have a problem and will not sign the form…You’re the first! Congratulations! ---- ------- has done a lot of renovation loans for MM with never a problem.
Have a wonderful evening…I will pray for you and Tim and that will do the right thing…maybe his dad can offer you both some guidance too.
Sincerely,
-----
Strongly suggest you get off the forum and get an attorney, whether your closing attorney or another one.

This smells to high heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages