U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM

9 posts, read 14,150 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Howdy all. Just got married. My wife and I are in NY State paying quite a TON of money in rent (2500), and are exploring buying. I had not tried to apply for mortgages prior to renting as I heard it was very difficult to qualify (esp. having worked only a couple of years).

I'm 30 and married with no children (which we are planning on having in the future). My last year of income was 56k and this tax season when when I file, it will be about 102k (both salaries non-adjusted gross). Wife is currently not employed (teacher). I am a healthcare provider, so I, (but the lenders may not care) consider my income to be somewhat stable. I'm a partner in a practice, but do not have a fixed salary. My student loans have been paid. Wife has 12k in student loans. Both of us have excellent credit. No debt/defaults/bankruptcy. 470$ car payment. 110k in savings.

I have no idea what to think of home prices in NY (I do not reside in the city/westchester/long island), some say they are stabilizing, some say theres more plummeting to go. I'm paying a lot of money in rent (rents seem very high near me, and we paid dearly for the convenience of having a two-car garage), and realize this could be a mortgage payment.

Any idea if I'd be approved by a traditional lender? Anyone have any idea on these physician loans? I can only show two years of income. Also, if you think i could get approved, could someone take a swing and guess on how much home I'd get approved for assuming I put, say 85-90k down? Homes in lower NY State (Putnam county) appear to be pretty expensive still.

Thanks

Last edited by nutjob; 01-24-2012 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: Grammer/Content
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 03:23 PM

6,719 posts, read 11,739,154 times
I don't know about houses in NY (i.e. prices etc.) since I am in New Hampshire, but I just applied for a mortgage (which I hadn't done in 9 years) and approval was based mostly on my credit score (excellent) and my debt-to-income ratios (housing/all debt). I asked if I would get "brownie points" for having a "secure job" because I have tenure (college prof.) and my loan officer told me no, they would just ask the usual question about the "likelihood of this job continuing" when they verify employment.

For my lender (and for others that I checked with), the maximum debt as a percentage of (gross) income was 41%. Say income = $8,000/month so maximum debt (PITI [principal, interest, property taxes, insurance] plus student loans, car payments, etc.) = $8,000 x .41 = $3,280. Subtract your regular monthly debts BESIDES housing, and you're left with the maximum that your PITI can be (including PMI if applicable -- but if your down payment is 20% or more, you won't have PMI).

The possible glitch I see in your situation is if your income will fluctuate a lot (because you said you don't have a regular salary). Lenders, I think, want at least 2 years of income to base their numbers on (I know they do that with overtime, summer pay, etc.).

I don't know about physician loans, although I know others have asked that so you may do a search of these forums using those words.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2012, 03:52 PM

9,038 posts, read 18,355,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutjob View Post
Hello,

Howdy all. Just got married. My wife and I are in NY State paying quite a TON of money in rent (2500), and are exploring buying. I had not tried to apply for mortgages prior to renting as I heard it was very difficult to qualify (esp. having worked only a couple of years).

I'm 30 and married with no children (which we are planning on having in the future). My last year of income was 56k and this tax season when when I file, it will be about 102k (both salaries non-adjusted gross). Wife is currently not employed (teacher). I am a healthcare provider, so I, (but the lenders may not care) consider my income to be somewhat stable. I'm a partner in a practice, but do not have a fixed salary. My student loans have been paid. Wife has 12k in student loans. Both of us have excellent credit. No debt/defaults/bankruptcy. 470$ car payment. 110k in savings.

I have no idea what to think of home prices in NY (I do not reside in the city/westchester/long island), some say they are stabilizing, some say theres more plummeting to go. I'm paying a lot of money in rent (rents seem very high near me, and we paid dearly for the convenience of having a two-car garage), and realize this could be a mortgage payment.

Any idea if I'd be approved by a traditional lender? Anyone have any idea on these physician loans? I can only show two years of income. Also, if you think i could get approved, could someone take a swing and guess on how much home I'd get approved for assuming I put, say 85-90k down? Homes in lower NY State (Putnam county) appear to be pretty expensive still.

Thanks
Not long ago I had a buyer client who qualified for the physician loan. Two years of income should suffice and a downpayment of less than 20% is common for "newer" physicians; you might even consider applying by yourself only. But that's best discussed with a good loan officer who will ask a lot more specific questions than you would want to answer on a public forum

If you like, I can refer the loan officer my client used (who by the way was extremely happy with the entire process).

Good luck!

Elke

Old 01-26-2012, 06:22 PM

9 posts, read 14,150 times
Hi guys - thanks for the replies! Very good info Karen and Elke.

For my two years of income, would they average the 2 years of income, or take the last year of income to determine what my monthly PITI would be? I'm hoping the latter.

Elke, would you mind providing me the name of the loan officer associated with physician loans?

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2012, 10:27 AM

6,719 posts, read 11,739,154 times
I think with things like overtime they (a) get confirmation (from your employer) that it's "likely" to continue, then (b) average it out over a stated period, say the last 2 years. But since every situation is different, you might just call up a local bank and ask to speak with a mortgage loan rep -- they should be able to give you info on documentation of income, what your ratios will be, etc.

I don't know if you would be considered "self-employed" if you are a partner in a medical practice? Another question to ask them. (I know that banks these days would tend to ask for more documentation for self-employed people -- before the crash there used to be "no-doc" or "stated income" loans available in some markets in which you basically just stated your income. Yep, as in, "Oh, I make $125,000 a year." No checks, nothing. I think they usually required a larger down payment and/or good credit etc., but it is a bit mind-boggling to me that those kinds of loans were made.)

Good luck!! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages