U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 06:41 PM

5 posts, read 13,749 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are preparing to send our first child to kindergarten and would like to move from our home to switch school districts.

We're upside down on our home in Missouri. We owe $385k and it's worth about $315k.

Would it be possible to move and transfer our negative equity to another home? We both have credit scores a touch over 700 with no negative history, including our mortgage. Our income is solid as well.

Any thoughts on whether this is even possible? We currently have an 80/20 loan with Wells and a local credit union.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 06:44 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,288,152 times
You may want to post this in the mortgage sub forum.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:58 PM

6,324 posts, read 9,023,459 times
I'm no mortage expert, but I'm pretty sure if you could do this we wouldn't see so many people short selling their homes across the country.

As far as I know you have two options:

1. A short sale which you'll need bank approval to do and will hurt your credit.

2. You can show up at the closing with $70K to pay off the difference. I'm sure there is some sort of personal loan vehicle you could use to get that money if you don't have it.

Either way, I think you should talk to your lender.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:59 PM

Thanks. Will do.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:52 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,025,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmores33 View Post
My wife and I are preparing to send our first child to kindergarten and would like to move from our home to switch school districts.

We're upside down on our home in Missouri. We owe $385k and it's worth about $315k.

Would it be possible to move and transfer our negative equity to another home? We both have credit scores a touch over 700 with no negative history, including our mortgage. Our income is solid as well.

Any thoughts on whether this is even possible? We currently have an 80/20 loan with Wells and a local credit union.

Thanks!
Sorry, no, this is not possible. You owe your lender a lot of money. He is not going to let you out of that.

Getting a new home requires getting a new mortgage, and with this kind of debt you will not qualify.

Your choices are...

Stay in the home

Find a renter to pay you enough rent to cover your mortgage

Sell it for the $315,000 and make up the rest you owe to the lender out of your own pocket.

Or, walk away from the home - which will ruin your credit and keep you from getting another loan for years.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:25 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,284,194 times
All of this based on your nipper attending a better kindergarten?

Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 PM

3,576 posts, read 5,902,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Yes. People think this way.

My brother just took a 300k lost. Yes. He brought for $1million in 2005. And sold he beautiful home for $720k plus real estate fees. Means over $300k lost.

He didn't like the schools district his daughter was to attend. His daughter is 4 years old now and will turn 5 in September.

So he sold and buying another $1million dollar home 7 miles away. Supposedly he says this new home would have cost him 1.3-1.4 million at peak prices. Whatever.

I tried to talk him out of it but his wife was adamant about not putting their daughter in a poorer performing school. Private school would have been cheaper than taking a $300k hit.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I have two kids, one that will be in kindergarten this year, and one next year. the year after that, they'll be in first grade, then second, etc. it's not just for kindergarten.

we've been in our home for 6 years and our school district has gone downhill. we're hoping to give our kids every chance to be successful, including improving their environment in a better school district.

thanks for all the replies everyone.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:07 AM

5,463 posts, read 5,781,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Sorry, no, this is not possible. You owe your lender a lot of money. He is not going to let you out of that.

Getting a new home requires getting a new mortgage, and with this kind of debt you will not qualify.

Your choices are...

Stay in the home

Find a renter to pay you enough rent to cover your mortgage

Sell it for the $315,000 and make up the rest you owe to the lender out of your own pocket.

Or, walk away from the home - which will ruin your credit and keep you from getting another loan for years.
Add :
stop paying the mortgage and use that as leverage to try to negotiate a short sale with your lender
sit tight and see how the various ideas for principal reductions shake out

Not that I recommend either, but they're alternatives to consider

Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 AM

3,260 posts, read 4,504,271 times
What is to stop someone from renting their house out and using the rent to cover the mortgage while meanwhile buying the house they really want? Once the have the new house, just stop paying the mortgage on the property rented out?

Obviously, this is morally wrong, but it is exactly what my former next door neighbors did. The house was sold as a short sale after they had their new house and decided not to pay for the old one anymore.

A person doesn't need a great credit score to live a cash lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages