Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:12 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,463,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai95 View Post
I am shopping for a loan now and I did have one bank tell me that PMI has to stay on a min of 2 years no matter what. And I have heard of stories that banks give you the run around when you reach their magic number and try to take off PMI. Others are lucky and get it taken off with no problem. Ask alot of questions to your broker and pick the best option for you not them.
Yes. I am going to ask a lot of questions. I had a feeling that it's possible it could stay on for a min of two years so I will need to talk to my agent about this in depth to make sure I know what I am getting myself into. Thanks for all the posts. It was helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:28 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
The two year minimum (which depends on the investor of your loan) is for borrower initiated PMI cancellation. The 78% LTV cancellation, which as discussed in this thread is based on the ORIGINAL amortization schedule (i.e. extra principal payments don't help) does not have a two year minimum.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:49 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,463,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
The two year minimum (which depends on the investor of your loan) is for borrower initiated PMI cancellation. The 78% LTV cancellation, which as discussed in this thread is based on the ORIGINAL amortization schedule (i.e. extra principal payments don't help) does not have a two year minimum.
Boy, you need a "mortgage course" just understand all this crap! Thank you for the clarification.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:56 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Quote:
There's no "trying" to get rid of once you're at 78% per the original amortization schedule - it's automatic cancellation. I ran an am schedule earlier on a sample $244,000 value (loan = 244,000 * 82% = 200,080) and I believe it was around installment #31, or approximately 2 1/2 years, that PMI would drop off automatically. Depending what the PMI costs and the interest rate on the second, it might make a lot more sense for me to get PMI.

I'd definitely want numbers run on both options so I could make a fully informed choice.

Not necessarily true. There are several requirements for the auto-drop, one of which, the loan must be current. Another is if you have not been current on your payments within the year prior to the time for termination or cancellation. A third is if you have other liens on your property. For these loans, your PMI may continue. Ask your lender or mortgage servicer (a company that collects your payments) for more information about these requirements.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:02 AM

I'm also a fan of the 2nd mortgage. And it doesn't even need to be a mortgage (like a 401K loan), but it's tax deductible if it is. See, with PMI, if you make over 100K, the PMI is money down the drain. I'm finding the only reason more people don't get quotes for it is because not too many lenders offer it. Keep asking around.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Not necessarily true. There are several requirements for the auto-drop, one of which, the loan must be current. Another is if you have not been current on your payments within the year prior to the time for termination or cancellation. A third is if you have other liens on your property. For these loans, your PMI may continue. Ask your lender or mortgage servicer (a company that collects your payments) for more information about these requirements.
Again, all these requirements can depend on the investor. For Fannie Mae, the only requirement is the loan is current.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:16 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
OP I'm assuming you're talking about a 30-year loan? Because if you were doing a 15-year, you could do FHA and not have any PMI (although I guess you'd still have to pay some of their upfront fees), since:

Quote:
FHA's monthly mortgage insurance payments will be automatically terminated when these conditions occur:
  • For mortgages with terms 15 years and less and with Loan to Value ratios 90 percent and greater, annual premiums will be canceled when the Loan to Value ratio reaches 78 percent regardless of the amount of time the mortgagor has paid the premiums.
  • For mortgages with terms more than 15 years, the annual mortgage insurance premiums will be canceled when the Loan to Value ratio reaches 78 percent, provided the mortgagor has paid the annual premium for at least 5 years.
  • Mortgages with terms 15 years and less and with loan to value ratios of 89.99 percent and less will not be charged annual mortgage insurance premiums.
Nonetheless, it wouldn't really apply to the OP, but even on a 30-year FHA it sounds like the MIP is automatically cancelled at 78% LTV as long as you've paid it for at least 5 years.

FHA Requirements: Mortgage Insurance (assuming this website is accurate)

Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
OP I'm assuming you're talking about a 30-year loan? Because if you were doing a 15-year, you could do FHA and not have any PMI (although I guess you'd still have to pay some of their upfront fees), since:

[/list]Nonetheless, it wouldn't really apply to the OP, but even on a 30-year FHA it sounds like the MIP is automatically cancelled at 78% LTV as long as you've paid it for at least 5 years.

FHA Requirements: Mortgage Insurance (assuming this website is accurate)
Yes, that's right, and FHA bases the LTV on the lower of the origination appraised value or sales price. They do not allow new appraisals to be used.

15 year terms and shorter have no annual MIP if the starting LTV is under 90%.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Again, all these requirements can depend on the investor. For Fannie Mae, the only requirement is the loan is current.
Actually, I was quoting the law: Homeowners Improvement Act of 1998

To say removal is automatic with Fannie Mae is misleading and wrong. Pages 200-10 thru 200-12 of the Fannie Mae Servicing Guide are just some of the pages that actually spell out step-by-step when removal is not automatic.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Actually, I was quoting the law: Homeowners Improvement Act of 1998

To say removal is automatic with Fannie Mae is misleading and wrong. Pages 200-10 thru 200-12 of the Fannie Mae Servicing Guide are just some of the pages that actually spell out step-by-step when removal is not automatic.
I stand by my statement, which is very specifically about 78% LTV termination. I am very aware that there are other methods of terminating PMI which have more requirements.

Page 217.

https://www.efanniemae.com/sf/guides.../svc031412.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages