Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 09:56 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,575 times

Advertisements

1) Is there negotiation, or is it just yes or no to my offer?

The bank will tell you yes or no to your offer but there is room for negotiation especially if there are other liens on the property.

2) How long does it take to recieve a yes or no on your offer? The selling agent says there is an offer supposedly on the table.

It can takes days to weeks. The last short sale I was involved with dealt with a first and a second mtg. It took 4 weeks to get the offer accepted by both parties.

3) The lender can't come after me for the difference in the offer versus the previous mortgage balance can they? Is there a term to use in the contract to make sure I don't have that liability?

The owner/seller of the home is liable for the short. The bank/lien holders can go after them for the difference and/or they are to claim the amount of the short as income on their tax returns the following year. Each state is different so check the laws of your state. Also factored into the mix is whether or not the seller has claimed BK or not.

4) Does the house fall under the same catergories that if it fails inspections, etc, that I am out of the obligation?

This depends if your are buying the house "as is" or not. I would assume with a short sale you are buying it as is and you are welcome to do an inspection but don't expect to be able to ask for credits or repairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 10:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish setter girl View Post
1) Is there negotiation, or is it just yes or no to my offer?
Negotiation, if any, is between Seller and Buyer. The lender is usually not part of this process

Quote:
The bank will tell you yes or no to your offer but there is room for negotiation especially if there are other liens on the property.
The "bank" (lender) will only look at THEIR loan. Part of the process that has to start at the listing is to contact ALL lenders (this is where the Agent comes in) -

Quote:
2) How long does it take to recieve a yes or no on your offer? The selling agent says there is an offer supposedly on the table.
From the seller?? A short time. From the lender? Unknown period of time

Quote:
3) The lender can't come after me for the difference in the offer versus the previous mortgage balance can they? Is there a term to use in the contract to make sure I don't have that liability?
No.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 14,916 times
Question short sal in northern virginia

Can anyone help me? My agent submitted a contract on my behalf that was listed for short sale. The seller did not put a short sale 'clause" or contingency in the contract before the sent it to the settlement company. The settlement company then sent me settlement papers for the condo. They stated that since they received a contract signed by buyer and seller that it was considered ratified- even without the banks approval. Apparently the seller has forwarded multiple contracts to the bank (is that legal?) and since my offer is on the lower side, I'm guessing I will not be the lucky winner. My question is- If the bank selects another contrat that has been submitted, do I have a legal leg to stand on (to sue for the property/or value of the property) since I have a "ratified" contract per the settlment company with no short sale clause?

Old 05-01-2009, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,754 times
I am waiting on a lender approval for a short sale. I am up against a cash offer of 370. We bid 20,000 higher but through a mortgage. We did not negotiate for anything we just offered higher we really want the house. What do you think our chances are?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna pena View Post
I am waiting on a lender approval for a short sale. I am up against a cash offer of 370. We bid 20,000 higher but through a mortgage. We did not negotiate for anything we just offered higher we really want the house. What do you think our chances are?
That is likely sufficient to overcome a cash offer. That however does not get a short sale to work. Only gets you the house if it flies. Short sales fail between the bank and the owner...not the new buyer.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:03 PM

5 posts, read 14,613 times
Question short sale in Alabama

The home we are interested in is in short sale, we have been waiting going on 3 months. The seller's mortgage is through Countrywide, I know its a disater right now, but how long is too long to wait. They have sent the appraiser out and the home is in negotiation according to our realitor. My husband is getting impatient and I'm just ready to move before our twins birthday in June. Our contract is up on the 20th of this month and we really like the house, its perfect for our family, should we extend the contract or just forget it? We qualified for the USDA loan and we do not have to have money down and the seller is paying the closing, would it be better if we had money down? Help, need some answers please anyone who can tell me something.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:26 PM

761 posts, read 3,415,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat3 View Post
The home we are interested in is in short sale, we have been waiting going on 3 months. The seller's mortgage is through Countrywide, I know its a disater right now, but how long is too long to wait. They have sent the appraiser out and the home is in negotiation according to our realitor. My husband is getting impatient and I'm just ready to move before our twins birthday in June. Our contract is up on the 20th of this month and we really like the house, its perfect for our family, should we extend the contract or just forget it? We qualified for the USDA loan and we do not have to have money down and the seller is paying the closing, would it be better if we had money down? Help, need some answers please anyone who can tell me something.
We are in negotiation stage from CW as well. We have decided to wait a bit longer, have been waiting 3 months as well.

Good Luck!

Old 05-14-2009, 03:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
If CW has appraiser out you can expect something to pop. It means they have decided that they likely should go for the short but have not yet decided how much is enough.

Hold if you can. You should at the least get a counter and. if the price is months old, likely an acceptance.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:00 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom View Post
Thanks again for the help! Having the owner involved will not go well. Short story long, she is an idiot, and does not care about getting foreclosed on.

One more question......I am going to lowball the offer pretty good. I know what the original loan on the home was years ago, and they are asking more now, and the house is in bad condition (cosmetic work, carpet, paint). So in my opinion it's not even close to worth what the original loan is. The market here is not strong so I think the seller was just hoping to get out with some cash. I figure I have nothing to lose by doing so. Am I wrong?
Foreclosures are tough too. Your short sale seems to be a real headache for you and the owner sounds like she wants a lot so I would just go for the low-ball pricing and not a bit more.....You never know what the real job entails until the interior is ripped apart. You are not wrong on the low-ball....I do at times and it works sometimes...

Old 05-14-2009, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 14,613 times
Thank you very much for ur imput.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages