Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 PM
AVA AVA started this thread

129 posts, read 321,174 times

Advertisements

[quote=mortimer;23918149]I'd like to point out that paying off cc debt at, maybe, 18-21% ( non-deductible )
with a HELOC is a good idea. Now the rate is under 4% and deductible.

$60k in cc debt? What is that debt now? ( in addition to the $230k in mortgage debt ).

Many people, during the housing boom, saw those $-0- balances and said "Let's go SHOPPING!!" That would be bad.

Luckily the debt is still low. For years we didn't even have another CC (we used our debit card instead) but 2 years ago my husband needed to get one for work travel expenses. There tends to be about 3-5k as a balance until he gets the expense check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 02:23 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I'd like to point out that paying off cc debt at, maybe, 18-21% ( non-deductible )
with a HELOC is a good idea. Now the rate is under 4% and deductible.
But the debt was just shifted around rather than paid off. It's true that transferring it to a lower interest rate is helpful, but you also need to factor in that now the money is against your home, not just a credit card. If the heloc is still at $60k, as mentioned in the original post, the real problem hasn't been addressed which is the accumulation of debt. That's the problem with moving debt around to a different interest rate, often no real dent is made in the actual debt. It gives a false sense of progress. And now it's keeping the OP from accomplishing the goal of refinancing.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdmoney View Post
But the debt was just shifted around rather than paid off. It's true that transferring it to a lower interest rate is helpful, but you also need to factor in that now the money is against your home, not just a credit card. If the heloc is still at $60k, as mentioned in the original post, the real problem hasn't been addressed which is the accumulation of debt. That's the problem with moving debt around to a different interest rate, often no real dent is made in the actual debt. It gives a false sense of progress. And now it's keeping the OP from accomplishing the goal of refinancing.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. The heloc has stayed at @ 60k because it's interest only and has a variable interest rate of 4.75 . We haven't ever withdrawn from it. We add $100 to the principal every month.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:01 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA View Post
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. The heloc has stayed at @ 60k because it's interest only and has a variable interest rate of 4.75 . We haven't ever withdrawn from it. We add $100 to the principal every month.
Shouldn't it be less than $60K now then, since you are making reduction payments?

Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Shouldn't it be less than $60K now then, since you are making reduction payments?
Yes, It's gone down( original was 70k)

Old 04-18-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA View Post
Yes, It's gone down( original was 70k)
Oh I see. Good job.

It seems to me that you'd be better off putting your extra mortgage principal payment into the HELOC and getting rid of that sucker faster!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
Quote:
... you'd be better off putting your extra mortgage principal payment into the HELOC ...
They are better off putting principle in the debt with the highest interest rate.

That is always the way to reduce debt fastest.

As I mentioned in my original post, many people took the cc payoff as
a "license" to run up the cards again. It's clear that the OP did not.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
They are better off putting principle in the debt with the highest interest rate.

That is always the way to reduce debt fastest.

As I mentioned in my original post, many people took the cc payoff as
a "license" to run up the cards again. It's clear that the OP did not.
I normally would agree, but the first can probably be refi'd to a lower rate than the heloc.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:03 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
Quote:
I normally would agree, but the first can probably be refi'd to a lower rate than the heloc.
Likewise, but the OP will have to use HARP because of the HELOC.

With the HELOC, the OP isn't going below 5% ( others without a HELOC
appear to get much better. Right now, a civilized HELOC is < 4%, but
if the OP has one of those nasty 9% HELOCs or something ...

My HELOC will certainly go from the current 3.7% or so to over 8% some day.
My monthly extra principle will move to IT at the time the HELOC goes over 5.125%.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Likewise, but the OP will have to use HARP because of the HELOC.

With the HELOC, the OP isn't going below 5% ( others without a HELOC
appear to get much better. Right now, a civilized HELOC is < 4%, but
if the OP has one of those nasty 9% HELOCs or something ...

My HELOC will certainly go from the current 3.7% or so to over 8% some day.
My monthly extra principle will move to IT at the time the HELOC goes over 5.125%.
Why do you say 5%? That sounds way too high to me. I was thinking 4%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages