Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times

Advertisements

In North Carolina, is "pre-qualified" the same as "pre-approved"? We were expecting to see a letter of pre-approval for the person who made an offer on our house, and we were disappointed to see only a "pre-qualification." Our realtor says they are the same. I know elsewhere that is not true, but here? Is that the best we can get, short of a cash buyer?

VA Loan: The "buyer" just sold his house a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure it was a short sale. Is this going to prevent him from getting his VA loan? (Or from getting the actual loan?)

And another question: The man who made an offer is married but wants to buy our house in his name only. His previous home and loan were in both names. Should we be concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 AM

244 posts, read 634,138 times
Pre-Qualified means the bank is pretty confident the person will be approved but they have not applied. Pre-approved means they are ready to go with the banks money in hand. I would not let pre-qualified scare you away, but pre-approved would mean quicker closing.

As far as the second question, the wife might have bad credit at this point or possibly unemployed. The bank would take that into consideration when pre-qualifying them. Wouldn't hurt to ask though.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
To me, Pre-qual means a phone call was made and Pre-Approved means the buyer's credit was pulled and he turned in bank statements, W2s, and other needed documentation. It also means the scenario was run through the desktop automated underwriting system.

Some lenders use one term and not the other because of their own policies. Don't fret about the words on the screen. Call the loan officer and see what the situation is as that will tell the story. If he did a short sale less than 2 years ago, fat chance he's getting a new loan today!

Old 04-25-2012, 04:29 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Call the loan officer and see what the situation is as that will tell the story. If he did a short sale less than 2 years ago, fat chance he's getting a new loan today!
We decided not to accept or counter until we've seen an actual letter of pre-approval, and "buyer" has agreed to start that process. If he does come up with one, should we be suspicious? Is a short sale or a wife's bad credit something that could missed in the pre-approval but found later? Or is it safe to assume that once he gets pre-approved, all that is taken care of?

We haven't been told there was a short sale, but after a little internet sleuthing, it's pretty suspicious. (I know what his mortgage was, and it was considerably more than his house sold for.)

Can I call his loan officer if I have doubts?

We're still showing the house and hoping for a better offer. In fact, while I was typing this post, someone drove down our driveway for a little snooping.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:23 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
You can certainly call the loan officer, but by law, there's not much s/he can share. This is true even after obtaining the buyer's request to release information. (Permission does not override privacy laws). Now if the buyer wants to share directly with you, that's their option. When I have had well qualified and high credit scoring buyers, I've had agents get the score disclosure from the buyers and attach it to the contract. In a pi**ing match, it works. But sharing derogatory information is a lawsuit begging to happen, not to mention loss of a loan officer's job and possible prosecution.

As for the calls from agents and sellers, most loan officers can field these calls with eyes closed and not really say a thing. I seriously doubt you will get anywhere. I just recommend you make sure you have the right person in your research. Your agent can ask their agent any question you request. What about flat out asking them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages