Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:53 AM

5,340 posts, read 14,106,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
That is true. However, some people don't have a choice. Due to certain situations (credit score, or debt to income ratio) you may not be able to qualify for a reasonable fixed loan - or at all even. In this case an ARM is offered to give the borrower time to fix what ever the problem is and then refinance....even the bank knows that.
Do you know what an Option ARM is? It is where the minimum payment is so low that is does not even cover the interest! aka-negative amortization. example-you take out a $300k loan and after 5 years you owe $350k! There is NO ONE (other than the very finanacially savy who are doing other things with their money like investing wisely) who should be taking out Option ARMs. The OP did it on 3 properties! That is the kiss of death.

WAY BETTER TO RENT THAN TAKE OUT AN OPTION ARM!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 12:09 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,950,079 times
RoaminRed - your right - for most that is an option. Good point.

Is an Option ARM and ARM the same? Is there a difference? And what is HELOC?
I thought ARM was just ARM?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:17 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,743,023 times
Quote:

HELOC = Home Equity Line of Credit, and there's tons of people that got 'em when their house was valued high, took out the equity for one reason or another, and now are upside down because the value of the home has dropped but they still owe the money they took out for that new car, boat, pool, whatever.

I don't personally know the differences in ARMs because I've never considered using one.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:20 PM

LOL - DUH! I can't believe I didn't get that!

Old 01-31-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
LOL - DUH! I can't believe I didn't get that!
We all have our DUH moments every day. Mine was this morning, as I sat at the stop sign, waiting for it to turn green. Yes, the stop SIGN.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:30 PM

LMBO - that is tooo funny

Old 01-31-2008, 12:59 PM

5,340 posts, read 14,106,022 times
Quote:

huge difference.

Your loan balance goes UP every month as you make your payments on an Option ARM as the minimum payment is LESS THAN interest only. It is the loan you see the adds touting....1% rate or $900/mo. payment on $300k loan.

regular loan-you are paying down the principal a little bit each month
interest only-you pay only the interest so your loan balance stays the same
Option Arm-you pay less than interest only so your loan balance goes up every month

Old 01-31-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
huge difference.

Your loan balance goes UP every month as you make your payments on an Option ARM as the minimum payment is LESS THAN interest only. It is the loan you see the adds touting....1% rate or $900/mo. payment on $300k loan.

regular loan-you are paying down the principal a little bit each month
interest only-you pay only the interest so your loan balance stays the same
Option Arm-you pay less than interest only so your loan balance goes up every month
No free toaster with them, either. Those loans are the ones that come with a complimentary robot waving his ARMs and yelling "Danger, danger!"

Last edited by RoaminRed; 01-31-2008 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: ...for humor

Old 01-31-2008, 01:07 PM

LOL - I see thanks for clearing that up.

Sounds like an Option ARM is a dangerous product. Thank goodness I don't have that! I have a regular ARM - but its not going to reset for another couple of years.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
LOL - I see thanks for clearing that up.

Sounds like an Option ARM is a dangerous product. Thank goodness I don't have that! I have a regular ARM - but its not going to reset for another couple of years.
Oooh, should start looking now to see what kind of deal you can get with the rates being low and all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages