Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 05:15 PM

95 posts, read 153,438 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of purchasing a home soon and just got my first pre-qual letter from my own bank. Not the best rate, based on what I'm seeing on the 'net. I know the pre qual doesn't mean anything, but I've purchased a home through this bank before and their rate wasn't very competitive then either. Nonetheless, it is a good baseline from which to work off of.

I'm thinking of either using a mortgage broker or trying a lender like AIMLOAN.

Just to clarify before I go putting my SSN on a bunch of applications, all the hits that are about to happen soon will be bunched together in the determination of my credit score by FICO, right? I have the time to hit as many lenders as possible, but I want to make sure I don't screw myself over in the process of finding a good rate.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:51 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,088,241 times
For the purposes of "competitive shopping " the various credit bureaus do lump together queries taken in about a two week span as a single "credit event". I think you are fine contacting a mortgage broker and maybe a smaller bank and a credit union. I would recommend against giving any info to those firms that lurk on the interwebs as even the ones with "name brands" tend to be run like boiler rooms and they will hound you with unwanted email and telemarketing...

I agree that "big name banks" have NO incentive to offer competitive rates to the vast majority of borrowers. Even the "elite" that those banks want to pursue as long term customers (folks with family businesses and or high net worth) generally get treated shabbiy UNLESS they go sit down and face-to-face hash out their "total wealth" ....

Old 05-18-2012, 05:36 AM

8,660 posts, read 22,832,313 times
Buy all means, obtain various quotes. Limit who pulls your credit and NEVER punch in your social into a website unless you know exactly who and how many times your credit will be pulled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages