Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 06:55 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,033,907 times

Advertisements

Can someone help me understand what "loan servicer" is?
We closed in June and our loan was serviced by Cherry Creek mortgage. It was later sold to their subsidiary (I think) - Dovenmuehle Mortgage Inc. I made our August payment to them. Several days ago we received a letter that our loan was transferred again, to Ocwen Loan Servicing. I already talked to our mortgage broker, and she told me that previous servicer sent "good-bye" letters too early, and new servicer will not send anything until early September.
I always pay our mortgage bill at the end of the previous month, so now is my usual time for mortgage payment. This is not our first house, but I never had my loan sold more than one time and never had to wonder where I should send my payment. Normally I just pay them online through my bank's bill payment.
I tried calling Ocwen and got a somewhat disturbing message - I was informed that Ocwen is a debt collector and they help homeowners (great!), then, after a pause, got a "This is a wrong account number". No prompt to enter account number (not that I had one at that time), no way to get through to the live person.
I then called our previous servicers and there weren't helpful either. I was basically told that they don't have my loan anymore and have no idea what is my new loan number with Ocwen is. I since spoke to my mortgage broker and I hope we can get to the bottom of where my September payment goes, but what bothers me is that from what I looked up on Ocwen website (https://www.ocwencustomers.com/oc/home.jsp) they are a company servicing high-risk loans.
Our loan is not considered high risk, as far as I know. We put 10% down and paid PMI in advance. Our scores are in the high 700 low 800. Should I be worried that we are now in the hands of "debt collector"? I probably can't do much about it anyway, but if someone can give me any insights of what I should expect, I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 06:57 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,134,880 times
I don't know if this still takes place, but in recent history they would bundle loans and then sell them. Maybe yours was part of a bundle. It shouldn't affect your credit rating.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:05 PM

33 posts, read 188,009 times
I'd talk to Cherry Creek Mortgage and have them help you. Just be aware that there can be no late payments held against you (if you didn't know where to send payments for instance) when you loan is transferred to different servicers for 60 days.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:38 AM

5,339 posts, read 14,077,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Can someone help me understand what "loan servicer" is?
We closed in June and our loan was serviced by Cherry Creek mortgage. It was later sold to their subsidiary (I think) - Dovenmuehle Mortgage Inc. I made our August payment to them. Several days ago we received a letter that our loan was transferred again, to Ocwen Loan Servicing. I already talked to our mortgage broker, and she told me that previous servicer sent "good-bye" letters too early, and new servicer will not send anything until early September.
I always pay our mortgage bill at the end of the previous month, so now is my usual time for mortgage payment. This is not our first house, but I never had my loan sold more than one time and never had to wonder where I should send my payment. Normally I just pay them online through my bank's bill payment.
I tried calling Ocwen and got a somewhat disturbing message - I was informed that Ocwen is a debt collector and they help homeowners (great!), then, after a pause, got a "This is a wrong account number". No prompt to enter account number (not that I had one at that time), no way to get through to the live person.
I then called our previous servicers and there weren't helpful either. I was basically told that they don't have my loan anymore and have no idea what is my new loan number with Ocwen is. I since spoke to my mortgage broker and I hope we can get to the bottom of where my September payment goes, but what bothers me is that from what I looked up on Ocwen website (https://www.ocwencustomers.com/oc/home.jsp) they are a company servicing high-risk loans.
Our loan is not considered high risk, as far as I know. We put 10% down and paid PMI in advance. Our scores are in the high 700 low 800. Should I be worried that we are now in the hands of "debt collector"? I probably can't do much about it anyway, but if someone can give me any insights of what I should expect, I would appreciate it.
Pretty sure Ocwen services "A" paper as well.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 PM

835 posts, read 3,968,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janalynn View Post
I'd talk to Cherry Creek Mortgage and have them help you. Just be aware that there can be no late payments held against you (if you didn't know where to send payments for instance) when you loan is transferred to different servicers for 60 days.

----If you pay the old lender. You can't just hold payment you have to send it in. If you don't pay anyone you will have legitimate pate payments reported.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:12 AM

33 posts, read 188,009 times
Like I said, if you didn't know where to send payments to or there was some confusion. I am not saying you just wouldn't pay your mortgage.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:39 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,033,907 times
Thanks all. I ended up paying our "old" servicer after talking to my loan officer. Also, I received a bill from the old servicer for September, as usual. I paid on August 29th, and on August 30th called their automated system to confirm it was applied - it was, principal was reduced and payment was on file. I read the letter more closely, and you guys are right - any payment to the old servicer within 30 to 60 days of a mortgage transfer is NOT considered late. Hopefully, my loan gets transferred to Ocwen with September payment applied. And, hopefully, they can service a super-client like me

Old 09-17-2013, 10:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Thanks all. I ended up paying our "old" servicer after talking to my loan officer. Also, I received a bill from the old servicer for September, as usual. I paid on August 29th, and on August 30th called their automated system to confirm it was applied - it was, principal was reduced and payment was on file. I read the letter more closely, and you guys are right - any payment to the old servicer within 30 to 60 days of a mortgage transfer is NOT considered late. Hopefully, my loan gets transferred to Ocwen with September payment applied. And, hopefully, they can service a super-client like me

I'm curious to know if you are now having troubles with Ocwen, as most folks do...regardless of whether or not you are good with your payments. After Ocwen took over "servicing" our mortgage, payments were held until considered late and we were charged late payments and property taxes went unpaid causing our property to go to Sheriff's sale (we were able to stop it thank goodness) They ruined what little credit we were working on correcting, and I am constantly in the threat of foreclosure.

And...since Ocwen is a debt collector and not a bank, there is no way for them to Help Homeowners as they state... they do not refinance and loan mods are a joke.

So....all good or completely frustrated , OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages