Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:51 PM

43 posts, read 110,716 times

Advertisements

I have posted this in another thread, but i wanted to let people know that there is a law against a lot of the wrongs happening in the foreclosure world, and it is a crime.

FBI Mortgage Fraud Warning

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/mortgage_fraud.htm

Real Estate Fraud | Mortgage Fraud | Flipping Schemes » Real Estate and Mortgage Fraud Resources for Wisconsin

http://www.appraisalfoundation.org/s...9&DOC=FILE.PDF

http://www.marisolutions.com/pdfs/mba/MBA9thCaseRpt.pdf

http://www.fbi.gov/publications/frau...ge_fraud06.htm

Mortgage Fraud - What Constitutes Mortgage Fraud - Avoiding Mortgage Fraud

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 06:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
It's always been a crime. And there's a lot more crime that has been committed by a lot more people, banks, corporations for the FBI to handle. Add to that the fact that Bush moved most of the FBI to work in Homeland Security matters and you won't see much done.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:16 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,545,492 times
As I understand it, the FBI has dedicated an entire division to mortgage fraud now. And they are going after the big offenders first. I receive daily reports of people being nabbed for mortgage fraud.

It will take a while before it is all fixed. But we didn't get to this point overnight and it won't be fixed overnight either ......

Old 11-21-2008, 09:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
There are variables within the concept of mortgage fraud:

Consumers commit fraud when they misrepresent or omit information to obtain a loan, that they would not otherwise qualify for had they been truthful. Regardless of the mouse traps established by lenders to detect/prevent consumer fraud, the mice grow bigger and proliferate faster.

Then there are lending agents who facilitated consumer fraud.

This is different from predatory lending which occurs when the consumer is deceived by a lending agent.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:41 AM

Foreclosures in my area have, thus far, remained an exception. For this reason, it is easy to spot patterns and there are indeed patterns.

I have read ( does not make it true) that as many as 15-20% of all mortgage applications are fraudulent. It pales in comparison to insurance fraud and then there is tax fraud.

This speaks volumes about our culture.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 11-21-2008 at 09:53 AM..

Old 11-21-2008, 11:30 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,994,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Foreclosures in my area have, thus far, remained an exception. For this reason, it is easy to spot patterns and there are indeed patterns.

I have read ( does not make it true) that as many as 15-20% of all mortgage applications are fraudulent. It pales in comparison to insurance fraud and then there is tax fraud.

This speaks volumes about our culture.
I don't even want to know the percentage of resume fraud.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:33 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,353 times
Here's an example of of mortgage companies commiting fraud. I had worked many times with a man who worked for a well known mortgage company. He was very on the up and up and did things honestly. He then went to work for another company.

After he left, I moved again, but wanted to stay with this "well known" company, so I just called their customer service number to get a new mortgage instead of dealing with a local contact. They tried to convince me to go with a certain type of mortgage to get a better rate. All I had to do was say X and that I could prove X, if they were ever audited. But don't worry, they "NEVER" get audited so I wil never be asked to prove X. Wink Wink.

I ended up going back to my original guy and the new company he worked for.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:42 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Do "no doc"loans fall under fraud??

Old 11-21-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-willy View Post
i don't even want to know the percentage of resume fraud.
:d:d:d

Old 11-21-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post

Do "no doc"loans fall under fraud??
No /low doc/stated income loans have been around for 25 +/- years.

They were designed for self -employed people who had tremendous, often seasonal, variance in their income.

What happened during the housing bubble mania was that the no/low doc loan was increasingly "layered" with other loans, 100% financing, interest only, negative amortization, teaser arms and others.
Something like 45 % of home buyers, in the post 9/11 mania had no skin in the game. It is a stretch to call them homeowners. Without skin in the game, you just walk away when it's no longer fun to play- when it becomes apparent that your team is going to lose the game.

There is no doubt that some buyers " layered" because they were financially savy enough to do so and indeed had the financial resources to balance the risk.

The overwhelming reason however, was too many bought into the mania and were willing- desperate- to buy, at any terms, because they had the perception of now or never. They bought into the mania that they could sell at a substantial profit, if and when, it became necessary.

It was viewed as a ticket on the Express Train to Easy Street. It was wild and crazy speculation.

Having said all this, average home values have been out of synch with average incomes, in many areas for at least the past 10 years. We were already overdue for a minor, almost routine market correction, before 9/11.
And had 9/11 never happened, that's probably what would have occured.

Instead, interests were reduced to juice the economy and the rest is history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages