Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:10 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,649,039 times

Advertisements

This image pretty much sums it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:09 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,132,802 times
Actually there may be an option. If you bank with a small bank and you have a substantial down payment (i.e. 20-30% minimum) they may do a portfolio loan for you. It would probably be shorter term (i.e. 5 year balloon) and a higher rate than today's 30 year fixed rates.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:22 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,932,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Actually there may be an option. If you bank with a small bank and you have a substantial down payment (i.e. 20-30% minimum) they may do a portfolio loan for you. It would probably be shorter term (i.e. 5 year balloon) and a higher rate than today's 30 year fixed rates.
I think that's giving the OP too much hope.Those kinda loans are almost impossible these days. local Banks are still keeping their investments close to the chest.There is so many foreclosed on property out there, and its still happening everyday, that the only hope most people have IS to pay cash. CNN week-end money show was talking last weekend about all the home sales going on now, there are plenty, but all cash !
Credit being what it is, I too tried to get a mortgage from our local bank and I am not all that bad as far as credit goes. even 50 percent down of my appraised home value I offered, thats way over 200,000, no deal ! and we here did not see housing values go up or down during the recession, so, I also paid cash to build my house.... yet , the same bank took on a new car loan for me a couple of months ago, no problem. I had a check for the Dealer( who was 200 miles away) within 8 hours, no problem. The problem is property with homes on it, their toxic and will be until inflation comes back in the housing market.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:32 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,132,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I think that's giving the OP too much hope.Those kinda loans are almost impossible these days. local Banks are still keeping their investments close to the chest.There is so many foreclosed on property out there, and its still happening everyday, that the only hope most people have IS to pay cash. CNN week-end money show was talking last weekend about all the home sales going on now, there are plenty, but all cash !
Credit being what it is, I too tried to get a mortgage from our local bank and I am not all that bad as far as credit goes. even 50 percent down of my appraised home value I offered, thats way over 200,000, no deal ! and we here did not see housing values go up or down during the recession, so, I also paid cash to build my house.... yet , the same bank took on a new car loan for me a couple of months ago, no problem. I had a check for the Dealer( who was 200 miles away) within 8 hours, no problem. The problem is property with homes on it, their toxic and will be until inflation comes back in the housing market.
I actually work at a community bank. We don't even pull credit for portfolio loans, nor do we report our loans to the credit bureaus. We base our decisions on perceived ability to repay, valuation of the collateral and character/relationship of the borrower. Far from impossible. I would say we are the exception and not the norm and we typically won't do it for non-customers.

In these times there is a lot of value in banking with a small place that knows you. The big banks won't entertain anything out of the norm. From what you described I would consider leaving that bank.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:30 AM

487 posts, read 1,357,540 times
One question pops to mind here because the OP claims to Own the home outright.
Why would you re-mortgage your home?
Obviously there is a need for cash.
But the OP has demonstrated a lack of financial wisdom with the low credit score.
If they do get the cash and fail to make the payments they loose everything.
I'm thinking in this case the OP is better off without a new mortgage.
That said they may be able to get a mortgage if it is small enough so that their debt to income ratio is significantly below the norm. with much lower easier to make payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages