Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,921 times

Advertisements

How might the potential fiscal crisis affect mortgage refinancing? Rates are the lowest they have ever been right now. Should we jump on it ASAP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 05:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I would say yes. Income taxes are included in the calculations for income/debt ration, so based on current rates you might catch a break in qualifying. Some think the increased taxes will mean less money for buyers so home prices will drop. I think it would be the opposite. People renting would be able to get a big break on their taxes with the mortgage deduction and that will become more important with the tax increase. If it happens you will get equity faster which will help when you sell. There are still people (around here anyway) advertising no points or fees for a refinance, so there's little up front cost to save money every month.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:11 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
The mortgage interest deduction has been, and continues to be, on the screen for revision. I doubt however it will go by the wayside overnight but instead will be first modified to increase revenue from the more expensive home owners. If the deduction was to be totally removed from everyone overnight, it seems reasonable to assume that demand for home purchases would suffer and so would prices. I have no idea what would happen to rent prices. They have been increasing here in Texas for the past few years.

Unless you are in the D.C. area, higher taxes will undoubtedly pull money out of local economies and will slow spending. I see it ever year in Texas during the months property taxes are due.

There is a fiscal cliff but some of us believe we plunged off that cliff a long time ago when each American began owing more money than they could ever hope to repay. Right now the Dems and Repubs are just trying to slow down the speed, and blame, of what was already headed our way.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:41 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,370,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
How might the potential fiscal crisis affect mortgage refinancing? Rates are the lowest they have ever been right now. Should we jump on it ASAP?
You can refinance, and go with a 15-year fixed interest mortgage for as low as 2.75%. I don't know how much lower an interest rate a person could wait for.

If you can lock in an awesome rate right now, do it.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,183 times
Quote:
Why would you wait? Are you waiting for rates to get even better?

Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,921 times
No reason to wait, really. I am just trying to take some time to do the research for a 30-year mortagage refinance. With the holidays coming up, and being a procrastinator, it could roll over into 2013 . Our credit is great, and we can buy points to get the best rate, but it seems like when it's all said and done it will cost in the neighborhood of 5-7K for points and closing costs. Does that sound right? Of course, we would prefer to pay next to nothing, if possible, as long as it was through a reliable lender.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 AM

835 posts, read 3,978,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I would say yes. Income taxes are included in the calculations for income/debt ration, so based on current rates you might catch a break in qualifying.
Income taxes have absolutely no impact on your DTI. The income used is gross before any and all deductions including taxes, health insurance, and retirement plan contributions.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:05 PM

19 posts, read 40,971 times
My advice is to refinance before the fiscal cliff. If income taxes go up, homeowners will be more inclined to find any way to save money, which will dramatically increase the demand for refinances. Simple economics tells us that increased demand often correlates with one of two things: lower supply, or higher prices. Since there will be no shortage of mortgage companies available, supply won't be an issue. However, demand may prompt interest rates and closing costs to rise--albeit slightly--despite the fact that Ben Bernake and the Federal Reserve promised to keep interest rates low until mid 2015.

Moral of the story: it's better to be safe than sorry, so take advantage of the great opportunities while you know they're still available.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:37 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,183 times
Quote:
No reason to wait, really. I am just trying to take some time to do the research for a 30-year mortagage refinance. With the holidays coming up, and being a procrastinator, it could roll over into 2013 . Our credit is great, and we can buy points to get the best rate, but it seems like when it's all said and done it will cost in the neighborhood of 5-7K for points and closing costs. Does that sound right? Of course, we would prefer to pay next to nothing, if possible, as long as it was through a reliable lender.
Have you shopped around? I'm not that up on refinancing but it sounds like people have been getting refinanced for little to no closing costs. Plus with good credit you shouldn't need to buy points to get a great rate, rates are so low right now anyways. Is there anything else with the refinance that is complicated, is the home under water? What is your current rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages