Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2007, 02:10 PM

943 posts, read 4,257,733 times

Advertisements

I have been considering working for the federal government. I know there are Housing Assistance/loans/grant programs in most states/cities for their employees, but I can't find anything from the U.S. government for federal employees when I google it. I'm pretty sure they exist. Do anybody know of one? I have not bought my first home yet and I would probably scratch the feds from consideration if they don't have any housing programs for their employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 02:35 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,583,894 times
yep VA or FHA loans....

VA loans are very good for those dont want to put any money down.....I would recommend that the seller pays the closing costs as you dont want to roll that into your loan amount..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
I have been considering working for the federal government. I know there are Housing Assistance/loans/grant programs in most states/cities for their employees, but I can't find anything from the U.S. government for federal employees when I google it. I'm pretty sure they exist. Do anybody know of one? I have not bought my first home yet and I would probably scratch the feds from consideration if they don't have any housing programs for their employees.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:42 PM

943 posts, read 4,257,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post
yep VA or FHA loans....

VA loans are very good for those dont want to put any money down.....I would recommend that the seller pays the closing costs as you dont want to roll that into your loan amount..
Aren't those loans available to anyone? I'm talking about loans specific to Fed employees. Am I wrong? Could you elaborate a bit more if you don't mind. I think you might have misinterpreted me a bit. I have grants/forgiveable loan programs available to me as a state employee now. I want to know if they have those types of programs for fed employees.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:54 PM

You should ask USAA BANK....I'm pretty sure it's a VA loan...and the programs they offer are still offered to other lenders with different names

Old 10-19-2007, 03:40 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker0679 View Post
You should ask USAA BANK....I'm pretty sure it's a VA loan...and the programs they offer are still offered to other lenders with different names
VA Loans are only available to military service members as is ability to join USAA.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:58 PM

781 posts, read 3,815,705 times
VA Loans also have caveats on use.....the house has to meet certain appraisal guidelines and closing costs must be paid by the seller. Sometimes sellers don't want to go with a VA buyer because they need to pay the costs.

121804---you are right, you must be active, retired, or disabled military, not just a government employee.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:34 PM

USAA is opened to relatives to federal and military employees...not just to military personnel.

Appraisals are strict....but they're in the best interest of the buyer. If you're buying a fixer-upper than a VA may not be your best solution.

Seller paying closing costs occurs on most conventional loans. This has nothing to do with 'VA Loans'.

If the seller agrees to sell the house for 100k....and the buyer would like closing costs paid....they can raise the price to 103k....and have the extra 3thousand to go towards the buyers closing costs. I have been in the business for a while.....and have never seen a seller reject an offer like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
VA Loans also have caveats on use.....the house has to meet certain appraisal guidelines and closing costs must be paid by the seller. Sometimes sellers don't want to go with a VA buyer because they need to pay the costs.

121804---you are right, you must be active, retired, or disabled military, not just a government employee.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:48 AM

78 posts, read 424,207 times
Lightbulb Also...

You might not want to be looking just at what the fed's offer. You might also want to look at what bank's offer.

I know of programs for teachers, law enforcement, military, and medical workers of just about any variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages