Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,182 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are interested in purchasing a short sale home in NY. We are previous home owners and sold our place almost a year ago.

My Fico middle score is 733
My wife's is 811

Our gross monthly income is $13750

Our monthly financial obligations are

$159 in credit card payments
$535 in car loan
$353 in personal loan
$550 in student loan
$644 403b loan

We are looking at home that is $400k at a 2% tax rate with $200 in HOA month.

We have about $120k in savings with about $15k of that in a college fund for my daughter. Since she is only 2 can we claim that as an asset.? No plans on using it.

My wife is set on going to chase but I believe we'd get better terms elsewhere. She insists since we bank there it'll be the easiest way to get the loan. I think she's wrong.

Also my wife's middle fico is so high would it be better if she got the loan herself?

Her monthly income without me is 7950
Her debt obligation is about $1000

Any help or insight for our best options would be great. We have an excellent financial history with no late payments etc. Is it true that my 403b loan will not be a factor in DTI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 11:03 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,649,039 times
Sounds like you can afford it. Forget working with a single bank, work with a mortgage broker who works with tons of banks. You will get a better rate and lower fees. The broker will tell you the best options.

It used to be it was better to get a mortgage from your bank, but now banks dont care because they are going to sell your loan the moment you sign, and banks like Chase certainly dont care about anyone.

As for the college savings, is it a normal savings account? or a some kind of college fund?

As for all your loans, you guys make $165,000 a year. And your giving away money in interest. Isn't there any bills you can just pay off? Credit cards, car, personal, etc...? Add up all the interest your paying per year on all that stuff. If you didn't have those bills anymore, it would be like getting an instant raise. Interest is for the poor and uneducated.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:26 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post

As for all your loans, you guys make $165,000 a year. And your giving away money in interest. Isn't there any bills you can just pay off? Credit cards, car, personal, etc...? Add up all the interest your paying per year on all that stuff. If you didn't have those bills anymore, it would be like getting an instant raise. Interest is for the poor and uneducated.
Agreed - what are the balances and interest rates on those loans? You may want to consider just paying some of them off now.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,317,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Sounds like you can afford it. Forget working with a single bank, work with a mortgage broker who works with tons of banks. You will get a better rate and lower fees. The broker will tell you the best options.

It used to be it was better to get a mortgage from your bank, but now banks dont care because they are going to sell your loan the moment you sign, and banks like Chase certainly dont care about anyone.

As for the college savings, is it a normal savings account? or a some kind of college fund?

A mortgage broker will pass your loan file to another company, and then you will go through absolute Hell trying to get updates and information.

Mortgage brokers are, by definition, slimy. Seek an FDIC-insured mortgage bank, where you will work with someone who will shepherd your loan, personally, throughout the entire process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages