U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:21 AM

237 posts, read 1,795,043 times

Advertisements

We signed all the FHA loan disclosure forms a little over two weeks ago. The inspection went great, as did the appraisal. Every document requested of us has now been submitted. The loan processor told me our loan package is now complete and ready to be submitted to the underwriter for a decision.

Assuming the package is submitted to the underwriter today, how long until I receive an answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:45 AM

1,676 posts, read 6,536,672 times
could take anywhere from 24 hours to several weeks depending on what lender and how busy they are.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 AM

5,446 posts, read 21,760,919 times
Some of the firms offering low rate loans just cannot handle the volume peaks at times... my loan was in underwriting for five weeks.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:08 AM

3,638 posts, read 7,930,936 times
At this point in the month, I'm at two business days. As the month progresses, that number increases. Factor in the complexity of the file, and things compound.

I had one where the borrower owns 5 companies, wife had funky income due to pregnancy leave, owned 3 other homes, Subject Property was unique, we pretty much hit every stop on the Weird Loan Express. AND we went into Underwriting in the last week of the month.

That one took a full week.

So: Is your income complex? What bank are you using? The bigger the bank, the bigger the "funnel effect" of a huge commissioned sales force, forcing loans through a way-smaller-than-it-should-be salaried Operations staff.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
At this point in the month, I'm at two business days. As the month progresses, that number increases. Factor in the complexity of the file, and things compound.

I had one where the borrower owns 5 companies, wife had funky income due to pregnancy leave, owned 3 other homes, Subject Property was unique, we pretty much hit every stop on the Weird Loan Express. AND we went into Underwriting in the last week of the month.

That one took a full week.

So: Is your income complex? What bank are you using? The bigger the bank, the bigger the "funnel effect" of a huge commissioned sales force, forcing loans through a way-smaller-than-it-should-be salaried Operations staff.
Income's not hugely complex, but not perfect: I quit my part-time job in 2009 to double up on my credits and graduate college sooner than I would have otherwise. Graduated with a BA in late 2010. Right out of school had no luck finding a job. At the same time my grandmother became ill and I took that opportunity to step in as her full-time caregiver for the following year and a half, until I was relieved of those responsiblites in mid-2012. Then, immediately found a full-time job, and have been there ever since (exactly 1 year, now). Our loan officer collected my W-2's from 2008 and 2009, which is farther back than he'd normally go, in order to show some consistency (as well as a copy of my diploma). He also had me write a letter to the underwriter explaining the year and a half caring for my grandmother. He's confident that these steps should quell any concerns about my period of unemployment after graduating.

My wife began her career a few years before me, so her income is much larger and more consistent. There's no problem there. She also works a second, part-time job, which she hasn't been at long enough to be counted towards our income, but is being considered as a compensating factor.

We're using a very small, local mortgage bank.

What do you think?

Old 05-02-2013, 11:48 AM

Any answer I'd offer would be an ill-informed wild guess.

I'd just ask my L.O. what their Turn Times are, and double that.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Any answer I'd offer would be an ill-informed wild guess.

I'd just ask my L.O. what their Turn Times are, and double that.
In your experience, does our situation sound "complex" or fairly straight forward?

Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 PM

Not if your L.O. - who sounds pretty good - laid the situation out well, and has a strong processor. I recall something about issues with prior employer contact?

Anyway, if it's really in underwriting, those items should already have been solved.

I'd think you'd be out of underwriting by Tuedsay/Wednesday. But your processor saying it's going in "for a decision" is weird. They should have an automated approval, the loan does not sound like a Manual Underwrite. These days, files tend to not go into Underwriting until it's a full file with all questions answered and an Automated Approval included in the file. I'd ask your L.O. if your file is a Manual Underwrite.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Not if your L.O. - who sounds pretty good - laid the situation out well, and has a strong processor. I recall something about issues with prior employer contact?

Anyway, if it's really in underwriting, those items should already have been solved.

I'd think you'd be out of underwriting by Tuedsay/Wednesday. But your processor saying it's going in "for a decision" is weird. They should have an automated approval, the loan does not sound like a Manual Underwrite. These days, files tend to not go into Underwriting until it's a full file with all questions answered and an Automated Approval included in the file. I'd ask your L.O. if your file is a Manual Underwrite.
What exactly is a Manual Underwrite?

Old 05-02-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I recall something about issues with prior employer contact?
Yes, but it sounds like that's taken care of (I hope). The loan processor reached out to my former company's HR department. They will be putting into writing that they no longer have any employment records from that period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages